What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for recommendations; Smoke Goggles

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey All- I've got to buy a pair of smoke goggles for a non-airplane related thing I'm doing this summer and figure if I'm buying a pair anyway, they might as well be ones I can throw in the airplane afterward.

Looking online, I see they range anywhere from $15 bucks on Amazon to $140 at spruce.

Would anyone care to offer a recommendation as to what to look for and what to stay away from? I know nothing at all about this particular topic.

The military issue goggles off ebay, very high quality, replaceable lenses to include shaded lenses, fit over glasses.

I wore goggles for years during my time in the military. This may be a bit dated as new tech keeps coming out.

One size fits all marketing is BS. You want to make sure they are comfortable. They need to contour to your face, if not crap will get in and they will fog. Bottom line is try them on and make sure they are comfortable. Definitely function over form.

This is not a scuba mask. If you look like you have a giant face hickey when you are done they are too tight or too small. You will be miserable after an hour of wearing them.

I had a brand I loved for patrols in the desert, walking or slow speed travel. I had a second set I wore when we were fast movers. They were more secure and had smaller lenses to prevent being ripped off when I looked left/right. I would routinely bring both in the ruck.

I prefer non-vented goggles. Going fast they can whistle. If you have the wind at your back, you would be amazed how much dust and dirt will find the vent and still get inside. You said you were looking for smoke goggles so that may be a concern.

Anti fog spray does nothing but attract mosquitos. Keep them clean and keep your fingers off the lenses.

IMHO, the Army SWDGs sucked, mainly due to the cheap foam gasket.

Back