What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for LP Aero Plastics Canopy Pirep

N82VM

Well Known Member
I googled and searched the forums but found very little. Looks like most go with Aerocanopy (Todd's) or the Vans Version that comes from Airplane Plastics. Does anyone have any experience with LP Aero on Vans?

1) Is the profile the same? Todd's are taller or shaped a little different
2) Quality or issues?

Pricing is similar to Vans, but I can travel easily to their facility in PA and save the crate/shipping.

I want the light tint and the UV

http://www.lpaerodirect.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=82&pg=1

Last edited:
I am interested in this topic as well. I have an 18 year old, that will be needing some work in this department in the next 18 months or so. Stop drilled small crack and the typical wear you see on a canopy of her age.

I am curious. Am I reading this correctly? The price is nearly double? If so, is there a difference I am not seeing? Can freight and crate from FL to PA be that much?

I installed an LP Aero canopy on my current -8 project. The profile is very similar to a stock Van's canopy. This is the second -8 I have built, and my first plane had a Todd's canopy which had a higher profile above the pilots seat and was much flatter as it sloped towards the rear.

The quality and optics of the LP canopy are very good, and it was easier to fit the skirt to the bubble at the rear opposed to my experience with the Todd's.

Good luck with your build.

Regards,
Glenn Vokac
RV-8 N81GV 2009 Bronze Lindy (Sold)
RV-8 N82GV (At paint shop)

I think I figured out the price difference question.

Aero Plastics is UV and Infrared blocking. Aero Canopy does not appear to offer those features, based on their website.

Price Difference

The reason I’m considering it is as follows with a few assumptions like crating and freight. I will not be ordering any finish kit Or FWF so freight is a factor from Vans. Aerocanopy lists crate fee as $75 which is reasonable so that applies to them all. For me freight quotes were $250+ based on the crate dimensions provided at Aerocanopy. Since there’s no UV block at Aerocanopy it’s out of the running, but it would cost me $1000 after crate and ship.

Vans tinted UV is $1300 and another $325 to crate and ship
LP Aero Plastics tinted UV is $1234 and I’m already driving that way anyway.

It saves me because I don’t need shipping $400 over Vans. It’s not much more than Aerocanopy Delivered but the added benefit of UV protection.

Back