What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long Term Storage of Hartzel Prop and Consequences

Maybe the answer is if you by an engine and prop to wait and ship them together. Maybe for some reason this would help to speed up engine production and I still don't understand giving a deposit years in advance for something that they can still raise the price on at their discretion.

Good point.

Mayo has an expiration date and you have a feel for how much your family consumes, easy peasy. Hartzell props don't have an expiration date listed on the order form and most don't know when it will be consumed. I would bet that the vast majority have no clue when they are offered the discounted prop pricing that if it's stored for a period, there may be an issue. Only way I found out is on this forum.

How about Hartzell / Vans putting the notice in red on the order form "IF YOU WILL NOT USE THIS PROPELLER IN 1-x?? YEARS, YOU MAY NEED TO SPEND $2000 TO HAVE IT RESEALED"

I do understand how much mayonnaise I will consume and the gallon of Mayo goes pretty quick! 😉

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think a lot of folks don’t understand what it is to be the manufacturer of the aircraft that is under construction.

The ease of building which Vans has added into their kits has perhaps created “assemblers” and as a result has inadvertently attracted clients that are not mentally prepared to be a manufacturer and all the responsibility that comes with it.

Part of that responsibility is understanding the 3rd party major components. The operation, storage, parts, manuals and bulletins are all available. It is something that a manufacturer should have knowledge. Assemblers are not as sophisticated and as such are ignorant to the requirements.

Sorry if it sounds harsh.

Back