What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long-term propeller storage?

DonMcKee

The first part for my RV-14A build arrived today: my propeller! :eek: Needless to say, it's going to be a while before I'll be ready to put it to use. Is there anything special that I need to do (not do?) to ensure that it'll be good to go when I'm ready for it?

Details: Hartzell constant speed C2YR-1BFP/F7497, 74 in. dia., Aluminum 2-blade blended airfoil

Thanks for any advice you can share!

The first part for my RV-14A build arrived today: my propeller! :eek: Needless to say, it's going to be a while before I'll be ready to put it to use. Is there anything special that I need to do (not do?) to ensure that it'll be good to go when I'm ready for it?

Details: Hartzell constant speed C2YR-1BFP/F7497, 74 in. dia., Aluminum 2-blade blended airfoil

Thanks for any advice you can share!

Hartzell told me that the store time was 2 years, then a rebuild would be necessary. That being said, Hartzell also said the main problem of storage was the seals go bad. They mentioned that some people had immediate prop leaks after storing for more than two years but others had not.

I kept mine stored flat, where the hub and blades were supported evenly.

PS: Mine was put in service just at two years and was fine.

Thanks! I opened the box to verify that there was a propeller inside, then closed it back up. I'll store the prop in it's original packaging in the house, to minimize temp/humidity fluctuations.

Prop storage

What is the consensus on prop storage?
Lay it down hub up, hub down or stand it up?
Mine arrives tomorrow. It won't be in the box more than a few weeks but I want to store it properly.

I stored the original propellers and box in my spare bedroom and didn't touch them until the week I moved the airplane to the hangar. I don't think having it standing up or laying flat makes any difference. After the prop was mounted, I usually saw the temperature swing between low 60's to the mid 100s when the sun was shining on the black carbon composite surfaces. The environment in my house is so benign comparing to the uninsulated hangar.

So I think laying them flat or standing up won't cause any problem, in a place that nobody can accidentally step on them and crush them.

not an answer to the question at all...but a sidetrack question....
why order the prop so soon? What's the lead time for props?.... I know the rest of the kits are long...and I understadn engines can be too.... but I would think that props aren't so long, and that it would be best just to wait on stuff like that.... even if you're doing hard press through a quickbuild, it'll still be quite some time....

why order the prop so soon? What's the lead time for props?

In my case, I wanted to take advantage of a sale on the engine. In order to order the engine, you have to order all the kits and the prop first. That's what I did.

Lead time for my Hartzell prop was four months and that's how long it took to arrive. It's now sitting in my hangar while I patently wait for the tail kit so I can start building.

Covid and the associated supply chain issues caused Vans builders to collectively lose their minds. It’s staggering the number of engines and props that will sit for years slowly degrading.

My engine arrived in April 2021 and was running in October. The prop did sit in the living room for 4 months because of the Vans engine/prop deal.

Last edited:
Prop lead time

not an answer to the question at all...but a sidetrack question....
why order the prop so soon? What's the lead time for props?.... I know the rest of the kits are long...and I understadn engines can be too.... but I would think that props aren't so long, and that it would be best just to wait on stuff like that.... even if you're doing hard press through a quickbuild, it'll still be quite some time....

Depends on the prop and manufacturer.
Hartzel told me four months but they expedited it. More like 4 weeks. The new Raptor is four months.
Whirlwind told me 6-8 weeks but I bought the Hartzel.
Also worth noting. Hartzel has a two year TBO on storage. Longer and the prop seals are supposed to be inspected.

Engines also have long lead time and storage concerns.
Lead times constantly change.
Best call and ask.

I ordered my prop with my engine. Both were delivered in early 2022 and I'm coming up on the 2 year storage limit on the prop in Feb '24. Its been laying flat in my climate controlled basement in the box it was delivered in. I might actually get around to hanging it on an engine this winter. Does that then count as "not in storage" anymore?? I'm probably still 2-3 years from flying. I'll sooner fly behind a 0 time prop that's 4 years old than send it out for OH without ever making one revolution.

In my case, I wanted to take advantage of a sale on the engine. In order to order the engine, you have to order all the kits and the prop first. That's what I did.

Lead time for my Hartzell prop was four months and that's how long it took to arrive. It's now sitting in my hangar while I patently wait for the tail kit so I can start building.

Kind of irrelevant now, but I don't think you needed to order the prop at the same time as the engine. To take advantage of the $1000 prop/engine bundle, yes you would. I ordered my engine Spring '22 and have yet to order a prop.

Back