What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long Term Fuel Tank Storage

Myrv14

JVL
Sponsor
I searched the forums for an answer to my question, but I couldn?t find what I was looking for. So, if I?m re-asking, please forgive me.

I have completed both wings on my RV-14 (minus the fiberglass work). The fuel tanks have been sealed (with proseal), leak checked (with 100LL), and installed on the wings. I am currently storing both wings in the cradle I made until they get installed on the fuselage.....I?m guessing around nine months to a year.

So, here?s the question: is there anything I should do (or be worried about) in regards to the lengthy storage of ?empty? fuel tanks? Will the proseal degrade, crack, etc without fuel in the tanks? Corrosion issues (live near the beach)?

Thanks for your advice.

VJ

Good question: I haven't put any fuel in my tanks yet, but also plan on storing them for a few years as I continue to work on the rest of the kit. Would love to hear what others have to say, but from what I have seen I don't think there is anything that needs to be done for the tanks.

Only potential advice is to not to keep the tanks completely sealed to avoid excessive pressure changes due to temps? For me I have caps on the fuel lines and vent lines, but I keep the vent line cap loose so air can escape. Enough to keep bugs out, but not allow the tank to hold pressure.

I figure proseal should be fine for a few years but maybe just try to get as much of the fuel out of the tanks as you can before storage?

Storage

My wings have been in storage for several years. The only caution I will pass on is to tape up all of the lightening holes on the root and tip ribs. Why?

Mice.

I am building in a finished workshop. I have traps set out for prevention...and I still have evidence of mice getting into the wing. FYI.

Mine sat almost 5 years between proseal and first flight, no issues. Just make sure you paper-over or bag the wing root and tip, you don't want critters making a nest in there.

Darn mice

The only caution I will pass on is to tape up all of the lightening holes on the root and tip ribs.

If keeping mice out is a goal, I would recommend covering the holes with 1/4? hardware cloth (it has 1/4? holes between the wires). I keep honey bees, and the 1/4? hardware cloth (secured firmly in place) is the only thing to keep those tenacious buggers out of my gear when it?s in storage.

Great idea regarding the lightening holes in the roots and tips. I have see mice in the hangar I?m building in, so.....

Thanks everyone

Back