What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lockwood Rotax School

g zero

Well Known Member
For those that have taken the Rotax Training Courses ( 9 series ). How basic is the 1st course ? As an A&P with lots of non Rotax experience is the course too basic and should one start with the 2nd course that’s offered?

The Service course is basic in the sense of what they teach but it highlights all of the differences 9numerous) from a typical Lyc/Cont. engine, which in my opinion is important for even an experienced A&P.

I don't think you can take the Maintenance course without first taking the Service course.

I can not recommend the classes at Lockwood enough (I had less than good experiences with classes by other providers)
If you go, tell Dean that Scott said Hi.

I've done the classes twice, in 2014 at Rotec Canada and this September at Lockwood. The 2014 class was 3 days of Service and 2 days of Maintenance, the 2023 class was 2 days of Service, 2 days of Maintenance, and 1 day of fuel injected engine training that I did not stay for since I have the 914. In 2014 the FI engines were just coming out and barely covered, so I'm sure that is why they've shortened the Service class and are giving a full day at the end to them.

The classes complemented each other, both featured excellent instructors: Michael McLaughlin at Rotec Canada, and Dean Vogel at Lockwood. Even though there are closer shops to me (KBVS) I went to Lockwood because I bought my engine from them and because of Dean's reputation, and I don't regret the time it took to get there.

I'm a pilot-builder with a basic engine background (think of John Muir's "How to keep your Volkswagen alive." basic), the 2014 class was paced for me, the 2023 class had me hanging on to the straps but the A&Ps in the class were doing fine. This is NOT a critique of Dean and Lockwood, in fact I'll be going to them again next Spring for a refresher before I run the engine for the first time. But if you don't know the difference between a connecting rod and a crankshaft, be ready. One of my suggestions to Dean was to do a longer, slower paced Service class more oriented toward a neophyte, but they're already so busy it would be hard to fit in.

The Rotax is a very different animal than the Lycs and Continentals we're used to in GA, I don't think anyone would go wrong starting in the Service class and going from there. Crawl, Walk, Run. If fact, thinking about it, in the 2014 class we talked about balancing the carbs but didn't do it, Dean emphasizes it during the Service class and we spent Tuesday afternoon getting hands-on experience doing it. (pictured below)

You can read about my adventures in the 2014 class here, and about the Sept 2023 class next spring in Kitplanes.

Tell Dean I said Hi, too.

Attachments

• Lockwood Rotax class.JPG
    Lockwood Rotax class.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Back