What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lite Database for 496

pa38112

Well Known Member
Can anyone explain in plain English the difference between the Garmin Lite database ($250), and the Full database ($400) for a 496? The difference is the NavData, but what is that? Is it the IFR procedures, or is there more to it than that? Garmin seems to go out of their way to keep the answer a secret.

Can anyone explain in plain English the difference between the Garmin Lite database ($250), and the Full database ($400) for a 496? The difference is the NavData, but what is that? Is it the IFR procedures, or is there more to it than that? Garmin seems to go out of their way to keep the answer a secret.

Hello,

You are correct that the descriptions on this page explain that the only difference between the two database bundles you mention is one has navigation data, and one does not.

The navigation data is by far the most important database on the unit since it includes airports, runways, frequencies, approaches, VORs, and intersections.

It is really the only database that is a "must have". Many customers just update the navigation database and single updates for the U.S., Pacific, or Atlantic are $49.95. An annual navigation database subscription for any of these regions is $295.

Thanks,
Steve

Navigation Database

Steve ( G3XPERT)

Could you tell me what is the difference between the Garmin Navigation Database and the Jeppensen Nav Database ( In my case for a 796 ) ??

Do they have different data??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Steve ( G3XPERT)

Could you tell me what is the difference between the Garmin Navigation Database and the Jeppensen Nav Database ( In my case for a 796 ) ??

Do they have different data??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Hello Bruno,

While the navigation data is compiled by two independent sources, the data within each should be essentially the same and provide the same capabilities for your aera 796. It is unlikely you would notice a difference when using the two different databases.

Some areas where there is a difference between the two:
  • Coverage - Garmin Navigation Data covers North America while the Jeppesen data is available for most of the world.
  • Pricing and Bundles - where the Garmin Navigation Data is available, attractively priced bundles are offered. Both are also available as one-time updates.

The U.S. VFR navigation database that used to be offered for your 796 was quite different from the Jeppesen database. It did not include nearly as many frequencies and also did not include IFR approaches. These significant differences are gone with the new Garmin Navigation Database.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Back