What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Plasma 3 Ignition Coil replacement

Michael Wellenzohn

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hello,

I have a defective Light speed Plasma 3 ignition coil after 9 years in my RV-10. I learned that this ignition coil model is not available anymore form LSE. The Model is PLV Art. Nr. 356 1 00.
The coil is still available from PLV (German Company) but it has a brass contact pin inside of the insolation (see middle pictures) which LSE managed to remove.

My question is, has anyone experience how to remove the existing brass pins in the PVL to allow to insert the LME pins?

Kind Regards
Michael

Attachments

• LSECoil with pin removed.jpg
    LSECoil with pin removed.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 81
  • PVL 356100 Pin view.jpg
    PVL 356100 Pin view.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 72
  • LSE Modified coil.jpg
    LSE Modified coil.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 64
Failed spade connection

Is there anything better from these guys?

On my RV9A that I just bought it has these spade connections on the coil pack that are loose to the point that they would have failed shortly if I had not discovered it.

A coil pack with a better locking system on the electrical connections then just a simple spade connections in a high vibration environment.

Even the automotive industry hasn't used stuff like this since the 60's

Tim

Is there anything better from these guys?

On my RV9A that I just bought it has these spade connections on the coil pack that are loose to the point that they would have failed shortly if I had not discovered it.

A coil pack with a better locking system on the electrical connections then just a simple spade connections in a high vibration environment.

Even the automotive industry hasn't used stuff like this since the 60's

Tim

A spade connection properly installed, has better conductivity than an eye and screw...... Install it properly and you will have no problem with them.

Safety the connectors up to the coil with either waxed cord or zip ties. Confirm that they grip properly when you shove them on (loose / wiggly not OK).

Never saw wasted spark coils in the '60's that I can recall....

Back