What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Length of RV4? (For tailering project home)

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hey Guys,

I purchased a RV4 which is currently apart. I wanted to know if anyone knew the length of the 4 without the engine and rudder? I am hoping I can fit it in a 16' box truck.

The plane is on it's gear at the moment.

Thanks,
D

Fuselage Lenth - RV4 (S/N 1136)

My sideview drawing (#26) shows the length of the fuse - from FW to centerline of aft most bulkhead, to be 167 13/16" = 13.98'. To that you would have to add the length of the TW spring/TW assembly, which is approximately 2' (Drwg. 30).

So the measurements says it will fit with .02' to spare (a whole 1/4"!)- but the reality of it might be something else?

Good luck.

YMMV - and with a -4, certainly will!

HFS

I was able to get mine in a 16 ft truck. I had to leave the rollup door open enough for a small portion of the tail. But it worked fine.

Be careful to measure width of box truck door if the horizontal is still on. We trailered a 4 back in a 20ft enclosed trailer earlier this year, no problem but did have to remove tail due to width. Engine was still attached and prop.

Be careful to measure width of box truck door if the horizontal is still on. We trailered a 4 back in a 20ft enclosed trailer earlier this year, no problem but did have to remove tail due to width. Engine was still attached and prop.

Similar discovery...the dimensions on websites for moving truck rentals are the EXTERIOR dimension of the truck. Very helpful.

Back