What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaving hole(s) open for rudder stop

bjustus

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to drill my aft fuselage assembly and the instructions say to "leave one hole open for drilling rudder stops later, refer to drawing 27A"

Looking at the drawing it looks like I need to leave four holes open each side for later attach of the rudder stops. Actually three because there are no holes yet for the small bottom tab at the bottom of the F-712. Am I missing something?

Holes

I'm getting ready to drill my aft fuselage assembly and the instructions say to "leave one hole open for drilling rudder stops later, refer to drawing 27A"

Looking at the drawing it looks like I need to leave four holes open each side for later attach of the rudder stops. Actually three because there are no holes yet for the small bottom tab at the bottom of the F-712. Am I missing something?

There's one hole each side left open. The rudder stop is aligned with the one hole and the other three are match drilled through the rudder stop. I haven't installed the stops yet. YMMV.

Last edited:
Just to repeat what has been said before. Don't expect the print dimensions for the rudder stops to work. They need to be a little bigger in order to get the stop rearward far enough to work.

What RZbill said is spot-on. I had to fab my rudder stops twice, not to mention rivet in place twice. The rearward "fin" or projection on the rudder stop needs to extend further aft to serve the intended function. If you make the stops too big,its no problem to grind them down. But if you make them too small ..... :mad:

What RZbill said is spot-on. I had to fab my rudder stops twice, not to mention rivet in place twice. The rearward "fin" or projection on the rudder stop needs to extend further aft to serve the intended function. If you make the stops too big,its no problem to grind them down. But if you make them too small ..... :mad:

Ditto, in spite of claims of keeping prints up to date, this has been wrong since they changed to the 9 rudder with the riveted trailing edge (2002?).

Good time to learn searching "site:vansairforce.com rudder stop 7" in google.

Here is an picture of the two of mine. You can see what Rupester said about aft extension. Sorry for focus, I have a better camera now.

IMG_0787.JPG

Last edited:
It will be a long time before I put the rudder stop in; but thinks for the heads up. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what hole I leave open and where the holes will be drilled.

Looking at that drawing 27A it looks like it goes in the four holes in the 712 that are already punched; the two that also tie into the stringer and the two above it?

Last edited:
It will be a long time before I put the rudder stop in; but thinks for the heads up. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what hole I leave open and where the holes will be drilled.

Looking at that drawing 27A it looks like it goes in the four holes in the 712 that are already punched; the two that also tie into the stringer and the two above it?

Sorry, you are correct. Two holes in stringer and two above. The lower edge of the stop is even with the skin overlapped.

I used the "internal" delrin rudder stop on my plane. It has worked out well, with no issues. Unfortunately, I can't find the link to it.

I just whipped out one on the band saw last week, someone here sells them but I like to create. Google Vans RV internal rudder stop. bolts to the lower VS hinge, hidden, cleaner faster ;-)

I planned to use the delrin stop solution from the beginning and drilled/dimpled for rivets in that area. Probably have to use blind rivets on the two lower holes as there is no room for a bucking bar in that area.

Alright then, looks like a no-brainer -- DELRIN stop! Softer item for rudder to come up against, easy bolt on, easily replaceable.

Back