What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leave what opened for MD-RA pre-close inspection

llavalle

Well Known Member
I'm starting the riveting on my HS and was wondering what should I left un-riveted?

I've searched this forum and found 2 threads... but I'm confused...

1-I will leave the rear-spar attached with clecos... but...can I rivet the front spar on the HS? If I do that, the guy won't be able to see the rivets on the center nose rib(all the other ones will be visible..) If I can't rivet that one... there is no point in having a pre-close inspection... inspect what? 3 nose ribs on each side?

2-What about the vertical stab?

3-For the rudder and elevator, I'll just leave the trailing edge opened.

4-For the trim tab, I'll close everything.

Is that right?

Suggest finding out who you're local MDRA inspector will be and give him a call.
On my -3, I left the bottom skin aft of the spar cleco'd, likewise with the fin but one side. Rivets fwd of the spars could be seen thru holes in the end ribs. The -3 elevator and rudder were complete except the tips as there is only stiffeners inside. The trim tab was complete. I also took pictures of all areas .
I discussed this with the inspector prior.
Have fun

Definitly agree with contacting your inspector. Each individual inspector will expect something different. Once your inspector gets familiar with your work he/she will allow more to be finished up and will use a mirror to see hidden areas. Until then, they will probably want to see most rivets.
I really like our inspector , because he really gives your project a real going over. He has pointed out little things that we did not notice, and then we make a desision whether to correct or leave it.

Back