What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaking Tanks

dweyant

Well Known Member
My frustration level is through the roof right now...

I can't not seem to get several leaks in my 14a fuel tanks patched.

I have cut the access holes in the back, and added pro-seal, but still have two rivets that leak, and a spot on the inboard stub rib that makes no sense.

I have cut the access holes, patched the leaking area, etc. but they still leak. Any ideas?

This is pretty close to holding me up on finishing the plane.

-Dan

Here is one of the leak. This is the bottom, IMG_0854.jpginboard.

-Dan

Dan,

As that specific rivet is on the outside, easy fix. Drill it out, fill the hole with proseal and set a new rivet. I’d enlarge the hole to use a flush 1/8” rivet.

For weeping rivets elsewhere I have fixed some tanks by drilling out the rivet, going up to 1/8”, fulling the hole with pro seal and using a closed end flush pull rivet: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/blindcloseendomehdrivets4.php?clickkey=160827

No one has ever noticed the odd 1/8” rivet in the sea of 3/32” rivets….
Carl

Dan,

As that specific rivet is on the outside, easy fix. Drill it out, fill the hole with proseal and set a new rivet. I’d enlarge the hole to use a flush 1/8” rivet.

For weeping rivets elsewhere I have fixed some tanks by drilling out the rivet, going up to 1/8”, fulling the hole with pro seal and using a closed end flush pull rivet: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/blindcloseendomehdrivets4.php?clickkey=160827

No one has ever noticed the odd 1/8” rivet in the sea of 3/32” rivets….
Carl

Thanks Carl, I’ll give that a try in the morning.

-Dan

I would open up the tank again and apply type A brushable sealant around the region of the leaks. The most effective seal is from the inside, like an inner tube, before anything reaches the rivets. I don't personally believe in the short cut hacks and would rather put in a bit of effort to get a reliable seal.

My frustration level is through the roof right now...

I can't not seem to get several leaks in my 14a fuel tanks patched.

I have cut the access holes in the back, and added pro-seal, but still have two rivets that leak, and a spot on the inboard stub rib that makes no sense.

I have cut the access holes, patched the leaking area, etc. but they still leak. Any ideas?

This is pretty close to holding me up on finishing the plane.

-Dan

I have resealed a few. You have to carefully follow the potential leak path, which can be quite long. Fuel can find a way into the rib/skin seam at a sealant failure point and travel quite a ways only to finally come out at a rivet with poor sealing. My suggestion would be to reseal in increments of full bays and must seal both sides of rib flange when dealing with rivet leaks. Better yet a complete covering with A sealant. ALL resealing requires very carfull cleaning and prep.

Last edited:
Back