What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leak Check Underway

BigD

Well Known Member
I started trying the balloon method, but with not much success. First attempt was with the skinny balloons that people make shapes out of, thinking their skinny neck would be easier to seal against the vent tube - but I just about burst my forehead trying to get those things inflated. I did manage to get a 'regular' balloon to inflate, but was unsatisfied with the quality of the seal I was getting. So after a little searching on the forum, decided to use the manometer method - easier, quicker, better! Thanks to those who went before. I did find two leaks - one around the schraeder valve, and one around the 'plugged' fuel outlet - put some grease on the fittings and that fixed that.

I'm going to let it sit for a day while watching the temp and barometric pressure. I also noticed during my searching that, in most tank pictures where I could tell, it looked like proseal had been dabbed around the shop heads of the baffle rivets and the heads of the pop rivets on the zee brackets. Probably a good idea, although I'll have to order my (gulp) fourth quart of proseal...

1z5ofok.jpg

1tkb3c.jpg

2w5t820.jpg

==dave==
Fuse kit ordered

Test

I put both manometer tubes side by side , they would go up and down with temp.and pressure , but as long as they stayed equal it was good to go.
Tom

Used a balloon ...

...but had a tough time finding a balloon with the right neck diameter. (Must have bought six packages of the darn things .... but by golly, now I'm ready for a party anytime!)

Balloons not fitting.

Well i am there with you on the balloons not fitting. So what I dod was tape up the vent line with selt sealing rubber tape until it is bigger them the balloon diameter. Installed the Balloon taped over that and a tie wrap for good measures.

filled with air very slowly. I sprayed it down with soapy water no leaks. I left it for 4 days and vala no leaks.

Yes I did dob over the Z bracket rivets but saw no need for the baffle rivets.

So now I am in the middle of the RT tank Ribs riveting. Less then 1 tank to go.

Working through balloon issues now

I tried a balloon (on the third one now) last night, but so far, am unable to get a good seal. I used zip ties, tape and fuel lube. I am going to put the tank in the bath and see if I have any leaks elsewhere. :cool:

Back