What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LCP portal reality check

Brantel

Well Known Member
So I was in the camp that I wanted my remaining LCP’s replaced (even if I had to pay for them again) on my RV-12 kits. After this weekend, I have gone into the portal and removed all my request other than the few red category parts.

I want to be part of the solution not part of the problem. Since most 12 parts are not dimpled, the risk to me is low.

I encourage anyone that is willing to accept non red parts to go in and adjust their portal orders to let Van’s know this info.

Last edited:
I put all my LCP parts on the list in the portal. If I remember correctly they said the red parts would be replaced and the blue/green parts would be counted and a price point/production time determined, and that we would be allowed a chance to review or cancel if we wanted to keep the order for blue parts after pricing was brought out. I was and am unsure as to if I want to replace the blue parts in my unbuilt SB -10 wing. I then and now do not expect Van's to replace for free my blue parts, but with their instructions I was of the understanding they needed counts for production. My preference with the known info would be to rebuy my blue LCP parts. I've already rebought the ribs for my tanks at full store price. Van's testing says blue LCP are good enough. I think this lets them say they will not replace them for free. It also doesn't force me to use them if I choose to buy new parts. I think unfortunately we are in the middle of an accident chain that hopefully is in the process of being broken. Covid supply issues started it and a series of unfortunate events/choices have gotten us to where we are. Hopefully Vans can find their path through this difficult time, I've dreamed of building my -10 since before I passed my check ride. Basically done with the emp kit and cant wait to keep building.

I ordered most of my blue and green parts a while ago, everything that wasn’t on back order.
If Vans would let me I would order all the rest and pay full price. I’m only in to the tune of $200 now. Let me sort my self out and Vans can concentrate on those who need real help.

+1

I encourage anyone that is willing to accept non red parts to go in and adjust their portal orders to let Van’s know this info. - Brian

I'm years into a -10 build and am finally making progress on the wings. I was entire discouraged by the LCP issue. I sat down to day to review our wing kit and believe we've not got any LCP parts. The fuse is an entirely different story. Am I happy? No. Will this pass? Yes.

A collective breath might be in order.

All the best!
Mike

I've kept mine as-is. It reflects my ideal scenario: Van's replaces all the LCPs (except those already deeply embedded in a structure) with punched parts on their dime. If and when Van's decides to tell us how much it will cost me to replace these parts, both $ and delay, then I'll decide what I am willing to live with. IMO, it's best if Van's knows what customers want so they can find the right balance with the best information.

I've kept mine as-is. It reflects my ideal scenario: Van's replaces all the LCPs (except those already deeply embedded in a structure) with punched parts on their dime. If and when Van's decides to tell us how much it will cost me to replace these parts, both $ and delay, then I'll decide what I am willing to live with. IMO, it's best if Van's knows what customers want so they can find the right balance with the best information.

If that is your stance, by all means stick to it. I am referring to folks like me that really don’t mind using non red LC parts given all the testing and recent events.

Same here.

Portal Link

Does anybody have a link to the portal? I wasn't sent one by email although I was sent an initial e-mail July 15th telling me my kit was affected. Luckily it's only my fuselage and I haven't started assembling it yet. Is the portal still active with their recent financial trouble?

Does anybody have a link to the portal? I wasn't sent one by email although I was sent an initial e-mail July 15th telling me my kit was affected. Luckily it's only my fuselage and I haven't started assembling it yet. Is the portal still active with their recent financial trouble?

You must have a custom link. Other’s links wont work for you since Vans connects your kit orders to your individual link. You must contact them.

Can't agree more. We trusted their engineers to design the whole entire airplane. Why would we try to argue with not just them, but their third party outsourced fatigue testing results that show the parts are serviceable.

Back