What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LAX VFR corridor D-180

P51krause

Hi there. Any So Cal or anyone fly through the LAX VFR corridor with a Dynon D-180? On the chart it states “fly the SMO 132 radial”. With no vor in the plane any way to do this (legally)? There is a VFR fix “MOBIL” that is closely aligned but wondering legally how that would fly. There is other options that use GPS, but all of those require a clearance through the LAX Bravo. Just seeing if I can do this without having a clearance. Thanks and Merry Christmas

Hi there. Any So Cal or anyone fly through the LAX VFR corridor with a Dynon D-180? On the chart it states “fly the SMO 132 radial”. With no vor in the plane any way to do this (legally)? There is a VFR fix “MOBIL” that is closely aligned but wondering legally how that would fly. There is other options that use GPS, but all of those require a clearance through the LAX Bravo. Just seeing if I can do this without having a clearance. Thanks and Merry Christmas

Program your GPs to fly from/to VPLSR-SMO. That will put you right where you need to be. 4500 ft N/W or 3500 S/E. Use KLAX altimeter setting, squawk 1201 and announce on 128.55. Oh, and obey the 140kt indicated speed limit!

-Marc

I'm not familiar with the D180 but if you want to navigate using some kind of electronic means (whether that's GPS or VOR), you'll need one of those radios -- along with a means of displaying the data -- to do it.

Having said that, if you can visually find VPLSR waypoint (which is the intersection of Hawthorne Blvd and the 405 freeway), you can just fly directly over the middle of LAX and then directly over the Santa Monica Airport and you'll achieve the exact same thing.

The distance from VPLSR to LAX is about 4 miles, and it's another 4 to SMO, so there's not much time for wind to cause much drift. I've done this in airplanes like a 1929 TravelAir 4000 with no electronics and I've never had anyone complain about it.

--Ron

LAX corridor

VOR not required…
The previous suggestion will work or just get out the chart, draw the radial and fly that radial using ground references (there are plenty) just like in the old days before GPS. Or you can climb to 5500 SE bound and ask for the Coastal route and get an ATC clearance through the Class B. Be careful of the Class B rings before getting your clearance

Assuming you mean the Special Flight Rules Area of LAX, you can just SMO-PIJIN in your GPS.

Here are all of the LAX routes:
Mini Route South - 2500', SMO Direct to VPLSR (SMO128 Radial)

Mini Route North - VPLSR Direct to SMO (SMO128 Radial)

SFRA South - 3500' - SMO Direct to PIJIN (SMO132 Radial)

SFRA North - 4500' - PIJIN Direct to SMO (SMO132 Radial)

Coastal Route South 5500' - CANOG to LAX to WILMA (LAX323 LAX LAX123)

Coastal Route North 6500' - WILMA to LAX to CANOG (LAX123 LAX LAX323) (you will turn before
CANOG, but nice to have something to point at).

Coliseum Route South 8500-9500' (assigned) - VNY to STABO to SLI to MIDDS (VNY125/SLI306 to SLI120)

Coliseum Route North 8500-9500' (assigned) - MIDDS to SLI to STABO to VNY (SLI120 to VNY125/SLI306)

Hollywood Park Route South 8500-9500' (assigned) VNY to VPLHF to DRIFY (VNY140 to between VPLQM and FERMY)
VNY VPLHF DRIFY

Hollywood Park Route North 8500-9500' (assigned)
DRIFY VPLHF VNY
(VNY140 from between VPLQM And FERMY)

Have you guys noticed that the GPS TRACK from a VOR while tracking a radial like on a Victor airway is usually slightly different from what the CDI shows or even the published radial? I’ve always chalked it up to VOR receiver error and possible magnetic variation drift without the VOR beacon being reset for the new variation. Any other thoughts?

Back