What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

landing light cutout

daveyator

Well Known Member
I'm about to tackle the landing light cutout. Anybody have an opinion as to whether it would be best to do the cut on the bench, before installing the skin, at the cleco stage, or after the skin has been fully rivetted. Most builders so far seem to have retro fitted the light kit, so have had to go with the third option. I like the idea of being able to deburr and clean everything up away from the wing structure, but am a little concerned about forming the leading edge curve with the hole cut into it. Any thoughts?

Dave Hastwell

The skin is stronger without the hole. I made the hole when the skin was installed. You then work with a rigid construction instead of a wobbling wing skin. The template works well. Its maybe a hour job and the hole is big enough for deburring etc.
Besides the dremel I used a unibit and snips.

Last edited:
My cutout was done with the skin fully clecoed to the ribs. This held the final shape of the leading edge, held the skin in place, and allowed disassembly for deburring the cutout and all the associated rivet holes.

Dave,

Go here and the next few days for the story of my landing light. Be very careful to line up the template properly before cutting the opening. See my notes.

John

Back