What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kitlog users warning

A great idea Patrick! It may be redundant, but saving a backup after every session where you do an update might be the safe thing to do. Make the saved file name include a date of when you did it so that it is both unique and easy to figure out which backup you really need/want when the time comes.

Bob

Granted I'm using an older version of Kitlog and during my 11 years of building I must've had three or four computers go south on me.

but on my version there's a "backup manager", which allows automatic backups.

BTW, when one of my computers crashed years ago, I took it to OnTrack, which is a serious-business operation in data recovery. They were able to pull off a LOT of data on a bad drive, including my builder files.

OK, so it cost me $1800 to do that but still...

MSWord

Pencil/pen, paper, & camera.:D

I'm not quite this old school but close - I take a digital photo of what I did that day and drop it into word with the hrs and a few sentences on what I was doing or thinking. Each section build has its own file. Backed up on an external. There is a provision in word to post it to a blog, but I'd rather build than waste time with the confuser.

At present, Matt at Kitlog is trying his damnedest to "unpurge" my kitlog file. Keep in mind that it was my ignorance of how it worked making me not have a backup, combined with the unfortunate purge that created the problem. In a perfect world where everyone is paying attention, I still think Kitlog is tops for easy (almost) permanent record of a build. If you are using it, then make your backup files!!

At present, Matt at Kitlog is trying his damnedest to "unpurge" my kitlog file. Keep in mind that it was my ignorance of how it worked making me not have a backup, combined with the unfortunate purge that created the problem. In a perfect world where everyone is paying attention, I still think Kitlog is tops for easy (almost) permanent record of a build. If you are using it, then make your backup files!!

Don, do you think it might be appropriate for you to edit or amend your first posts in this thread in order to change the overall tone of your "critique" of KitLog? Our posts live in the archives forever unless we delete them. :)

Since some of it used to be web accessible, it is possible that Internet Archive or Waybac Machine could access those pages to some useful end?

And now the best part of all, Matt worked tirelessly and put my four years of log back online, and I can now post again. Just click on the link in my signature and check it out!!

Back