What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keep from Scratching Nosebowl of Cowling

HFS

Well Known Member
Disclaimer - This may not work for everybody, but it may help some.

The lower half of my Rocket cowling requires, much like my RV-4 did before it, to rotate it down at the front until the nosebowl clears the spinner. Depending on the spinner to cowl clearance, this can be unpleasant to downright miserable.

So ... what I did to help that situation out when removing the cowling was to make some temporary, thin sheet metal "ramps" which attach to the nosebowl, dedicated holes - both for removing & installing.

The ramping "action" allows the nosebowl to "wedge" up & under the spinner until clear, w/o scratching the holy h**l out of it. Once in place, the nosebowl can be moved sideways enough to unscrew the plates and remove them. The holes are concealed by the spinner itself.

I have a little less than 3/8" clearance and this works - it may not for less clearance situations.

YMMV - But no scratches 21 years later.

Sorry about the sideways orientation - I can't seem to make it turn upright.

HFS
HRII S/N 002

Attachments

• Rocket - “Ramps” For Cowling Installation .jpg
    Rocket - “Ramps” For Cowling Installation .jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 237
RV7 - James Cowl

I use the same material as Glenn but it is just a folder, no tangs from Dollar General. It folds out and made a U shape cutout to clip it to the cowling like a bib on each side. I have a couple of cuffs made for the gear leg fairings too. Just added some velcro straps for them as the tape only lasted a year. Tough, thin, slippery. The aluminum ramps are clever!!

I really like the lift, could we get some more photos (to respectfully duplicate of course :D)?

Mine needs to lift almost vertical with a 5-10 deg rock. Currently mine is a cradle on a floor jack and it is hard to control in descent. I have fiberglass rods and a strap to spring load and pull out the sides to keep the treble hook action of the SkyBolts at bay. This professional looking rig could be the trick.

Cowling "Puteroner" Pics

Here are some pics (again) of my cowling "puteroner" - nothing fancy ...Cowling “Puter Oner” - 1.jpg

Cowling %22Puter Oner%22 - 2.jpg

HFS

Attachments

• Cowling “Puter Oner” - 3.jpg
    Cowling “Puter Oner” - 3.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 122
  • Cowling “Puter Oner” - 4.jpg
    Cowling “Puter Oner” - 4.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 112
I’d say the cowl ‘puteroner’ IS pretty fancy!
I’d like to see what other non-fancy jigs you have in your hangar.

Here's One ...

"Big Mama" dimpling/riveting yoke -

Specs: 30" x 4 1/4" throat

Adjustable Lower Mandrel

Mounted on Height Adjustable Rolling Stand

5,000 ob CP Squeezer

All up weight - 750 LBS

HFS

Attachments

• Big Mama Riveting Yoke.jpg
    Big Mama Riveting Yoke.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 104
Puteronher

I recently started welding. That looks like a great project.
Any chance you have plans?

By the way, folks, David has some seriously cool gadgets.

Back