What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KCHS Charleston SC Pirep wanted

Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
Planning a trip to Charleston SC and looking for a pirep on FBO at CHS. Atlantic or Signature. Anybody been there? Looking to stay a few days.

I don't know much about CHS but Mount Pleasant (KLRO) has a good reputation for GA. Easy commute from there into Charleston.

I'd suggest calling each one to be sure about fees beforehand instead of being shell shocked on arrival like some. They've both gotten very expensive with fees if you don't purchase fuel and have overnight fees even if you do. I've been there often just checked current 100LL Signature is $8.82 and Atlantic is $9.21...they don't want the little guys! If you don't mind the drive from LRO Mt Pleasant (about 20 mins or so depending on traffic east of CHS) it's a nice airport with RNAV approaches and have always had excellent customer service. They'll most likely have fees as well but nothing like CHS. Chas is a great place to spend a few days. Hope this helps have fun!

KJZI on Johns Island is also an option. It is another Atlantic FBO but offers self service 100LL and does have rental cars if you arrange in advance. You can also avoid the FBO altogether by parking along C taxiway.

Both the FBOs at CHS cater to the jets, but CHS has a large training presence, so ATC is very accommodating to GA.

I've been to executive ( KJZI ) a couple of times and had no issues. If I remember correctly, if you buy fuel, they do wave the first night fee and I think each night is only $25, so its reasonable comparing to CHS. Definitely call around. KCHS is VERY busy. They have something several flight schools (I think 6 or so), Military operations, Commercial airlines, all sorts of fun stuff to navigate through, and to top it off they are expensive. KJZI is non-towered so watch out for those student pilots coming there from CHS ;)

Well, I’ve decided on LRO Mt Pleasant. Called there today. No overnight fees with fuel purchase, rental car half the price of the other airports. Only caveat is I have to Uber to the rental car office which is on the way to our hotel. Gentleman on the phone was very helpful.

Well, I’ve decided on LRO Mt Pleasant. Called there today. No overnight fees with fuel purchase, rental car half the price of the other airports. Only caveat is I have to Uber to the rental car office which is on the way to our hotel. Gentleman on the phone was very helpful.
LRO is where I got my PPL in '07 and IR in '08. Lots of good memories of that airport.

I flew into JZI. Nice little airport on John's Island south of Charleston. It's about a 20 minute Uber ride from the airport to downtown. Gas is a bit high. Will wave a night of parking if you take fuel. You can take self serve too and save $2 a gallon and still get the discount on parking.

LRO has actual tiedowns, whereby Atlantic and Signature do not. Three years ago the wind flipped one school's 172 on top of another.

Back