What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

jettison

I didn't put it in. Is that a pro or con??? I don't fly with a parachute, nor would my wife. So what would it do for me? I can just see somebody pulling the rip cord in flight, the canopy comes off, but than what? by some miracle I have a chute on, than what, remove the seat belts and than what? exit the aircraft and hit the vertical, than what? how about this one, the only reason you would need to do all this is because... the wing came off, oh my! the G forces of such a thing would be so great you wouldn't be able to do anything anyway, you would probably be smashed against something and not be able to move anything. so, just fly your airplane proper and forget it.

Heard on VAF

Pro's
- easy canopy hinges disconnecting while on the ground servicing (could be done with Jergens pins too)

Con's
- nobody ever jettisoned the canopy in flight so no proven data if it works
- extra work with mechanism and slots in forward fuse skin
- gas struts will not allow canopy jettisoned anyway.

I like the fact that mine has a jettison handle on the panel. Canopy comes off in just a couple of seconds. I didn't build mine though so I don't know how much work it is.

Handle + Pins

I have the release fitted but no slots.
This allows for easy removal of the canopy but not jettison.

Made fitting during building and painting easy.

Peter

The original design did not include the struts. The slots are generally covered with the same tape that sailplane guys use to seal the wing root fairings. The canopy hinges will pull through it.
If you have the struts, do not jettison in flight.
The feature is still very handy for working on the airplane.
Some people will say if you build the panel the way you want it, there will be no reason to change. I've been flying mine for over 16 years, and things change. New goodies come out. I've completely re-done my panel twice.
As far as all the things you have to do to bail out, if that's a problem then don't do it. Many people are alive today because they did it.

I have the release fitted but no slots.
This allows for easy removal of the canopy but not jettison.

Made fitting during building and painting easy.

Peter

The pratical aspect of making removal of the canopy easy is by far the biggest consideration. I can take mine off and put it back on by myself. (I am about 6'3" tall so my "wing span" probably helps) I have had the canopy on and off two times in three years. When I did it made the job I was doing, both times, go from a $&^%^&#^&*%^$^*!!! job to a very easy to manage project.
Making the canopy easy to "jettison" is almost not worth introducing into the thought process of "to do or not to do." Revolve the thoughts around ease of access. :)

to ease in removing my tipup, I put 1 inch holes in front of the pins in the secondary panel. Than I put holes in the bolts, which are the same that vans provides and than put a quick release retainer, you know the ones that have the curley on one side and straight on the other. If I need to remove the tipup, I reach in with a needle nose pliers and pull the pins and than push out the pins, canopy off.

allbee, can you post a few pics of that type of install? I've read that sealing the tip-up is bear, so any slots would add to that issue.

Pat

I hope this helps, look at the hinges you see on the pic 3 holes, but there is a 4th hole on the right side of the right hinge. The outer hole allows for removing the pin retainer, the inside hole is for finagaling the pin out. The pin I used is the vans provided. I rounded out the pin slightly and didn't shorten it, I drilled a hole through the end to put the retainer in. I have no pics of the pin, sorry. Very easy to do and lets me do what I want with the panel.

rvpic2.JPG

I guess those pins and such would be visible from under the sub panel and inst panel if you were to look up laying on the floor (wee person)!

Not quite what in line with the original question...

...The FAR's require the pilot / passenger to have parachutes while performing aerobatic maneuvers. Is there also a FAR requirement that requires the aircraft to be constructed so that the occupants can actually depart the aircraft?? Does the inclusion of the tip-up gas struts prevent the canopy from being jettisoned in flight??

...The FAR's require the pilot / passenger to have parachutes while performing aerobatic maneuvers. Is there also a FAR requirement that requires the aircraft to be constructed so that the occupants can actually depart the aircraft??
NO!
Does the inclusion of the tip-up gas struts prevent the canopy from being jettisoned in flight??
In my opinion, YES. Even if the canopy broke the struts loose, there's still a probability that they could cause the canopy to flail around and injury occupants first.

Extra words added.

You might be able to remove the struts in flight.

I have not tested this, but I think that if you unlatch the canopy it would rise up enough to get a hold of the struts then pull them off. After that jettison if you want.:eek:

I still wouldn't want to do this. Just fly the plane till you land.

I didn't put in the jettison handle and structure, I did something like Steve A. has done.

See this thread.http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=30524&highlight=kent+canopy

Kent

I would do it differently next time

Yes, I like that I could, if necessary, easily remove the canopy for maintenance or repair. However, since it cannot be jettisoned, I would not use the spring rod mechanism called out in the plans because it just interferes with the panel design and offers a danger if the handle were to be pulled in flight. This way the entire "hat" structure and release arms could be eliminated, making panel design and fitting much easier. It would even save about a pound or so.

It did make construction easier, but in retrospect it was not worth it.

I would keep the design of the forward portion and just put in bolts with castle nuts, ensuring the un-threaded portion of the bolts would be long enough to avoid contact with the bearing blocks, etc. I'm pretty sure I am not the first one to think of this.

Back