What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking an RV8

Darrell

What is the best way to jack an 8? I have tried several methods. They work,
but do not seem very stable. I know it would upset a customer if I drop their precious. not to mention me. Please e-mail me or post.
[email protected]. Thanks

Hi Darrell

If you are doing this in the hangar, why not just use the engine hoist ? That's what I did when I aligned the wheels on my -8.

Cheers

raising the plane

I have mine (RV-8) hanging from my hoist right now fitting the wheel pants and glf. I use nylon straps around the engine mount at the top two points of connection to the firewall. This seems to be pretty stable. I realize it would be easier to just pick it from the lifting eye on the engine, I have seen this done many times, but I can't get past that horrible mental picture of ripping a hole out of the top of the case!

Get two wing jacks from the Jack House and fashion a tail anchor. Get the wing hard points from Van's or make some from bolts and screw them into the tie down holes. I posted a photo a while back. I think it's in the general discussion area.

Roberta

I guess it was deleted.

Here goes. This is a 7A, but your 8 is the same.

planejack18jd.jpg

planejack29oh.jpg

Last edited:
I do a number of annual condition inspections on RVs. I've found that the easiest way is to lift the airplane by the engine mount, remove the wheels, then set it down with wood blocks under the axles. I wrap webbing strap around the mount and lift with that. I don't like lifting the airplane by the engine lifting eye. It wasn't designed for that much weight.
Mel...DAR

Back