What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this likely to be an issue? Magnetic Interference

edhunter

Well Known Member
Installed my dual Dynon ADAHRS units using the Van's supplied mount. Only issue was the location was where the previous owner had installed the Garmin GPS antenna. I spaced the ADAHRS unit forward to clear the antenna , not even considering the proximity might be an issue. The GPS is installed w/ SS screws/nuts, and the coax connector is very close as well. I used brass to install the ADAHRS.
What is the likelihood I'll have magnetic interference? Wondering if I should move it all now, or wait and see...

Attachments

• adahars.jpg
    adahars.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 112
You could call Rob Hickman at advanced flight, but I seriously doubt that's gonna work. My previous installation had a magnetometer there and I know that the previous owner had to relocate the Garmin GPS antenna to under the cowl because it interfered with both calibration of the compass and functionality of the GPS.

Ed, I am not sure about the EMI there, but the RG400 and BNC are pretty tight to keep the RF inside.

I would, however, suggest nut plates for your GPS antenna screws, eliminate the angle of that plate sitting on the bucked rivets and make a joggle so it does not deform the skin. Think about future removal - it should all be able to replaced with one person on the outside of the airplane. The backer plate could be attached with pro-seal to avoid a need for rivets.

Last edited:
Back