What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is FAA expanding the basic med?

dan carley

Well Known Member
I heard a rumor that the faa is
Changing the basic medical to u only need
A driver license no more medical ?

Thanks Danny

This is news to me. What is under consideration is increasing the number of types of aircraft that could fly under Sport Pilot rules. It is in the proposal stage, and it appears that most RVs will not qualify.
Edit. But if true, I’m all for it.

Last edited:
This is news to me. What is under consideration is increasing the number of types of aircraft that could fly under Sport Pilot rules. It is in the proposal stage, and it appears that most RVs will not qualify.

Isn’t that part of MOSAIC?

Exam

That would be just fine with me.
For a while there I was getting three physicals every two years.
Wellness. I get that every year anyway.
DOT for Class A.
Class 3 for flying.

Meh. Basic Med, IMO, is ****, unless it works for International.
3rd Class, carry on…

I would venture to guess that less than 10% of US pilots fly outside our borders, or intend to. You're throwing some babies away with the bathwater.

By all measures, particularly from a safety viewpoint, BasicMed is a success. The data (predictably) shows no increase in medical-related incidents compared to 3rd class medical.

And the majority of US pilots who do fly international go to Bahamas and Mexico. Both take Basic Med.

I would hazard to guess that if Canada accepted BasicMed, that the number of pilots that would fly there would be more than those that go to the Bahamas and Mexico combined.

As an early adopter of BasicMed, I’ll never go back to a Class III as the only restrictions for me are I can’t fly to Canada or go up into Class A airspace. So the pros far outweigh the cons.

The FAA IS NOT doing away with basic med, and driving with just a driver's license as a sport pilot is not going away. Under MOSAIC, if you are a sport pilot today and want to fly a plane with constant speed prop and/or retractable landing gear, you will need training, endorsement, AND basic med.

The devil is in the details.

I would presume that any impending changes to Basic Med, especially something as radical as "flying with only a driver's license", would be contained in the FAA Re-authorization Act of 2023 currently before Congress. The only changes to Basic Med as contained in that proposed legislation are:

BasicMed: The legislation would expand BasicMed privileges by increasing the number of allowable passengers from five to six and increasing the allowable number of seats in an aircraft from six to seven. In addition, the maximum certificated takeoff weight of the aircraft would be increased from 6,000 pounds to 12,500 pounds. Language would also require the FAA to help facilitate the recognition of BasicMed in Canada and other countries and would allow designated pilot examiners (DPEs) to administer a practical test or proficiency check while flying under BasicMed.

Improving FAA medical processes: The bill would also establish an aviation medical working group to work with the FAA in reviewing and improving medical processes and policies to ensure timely and efficient certification of pilots. The working group would also address the special issuance process and the appropriateness of expanding the list of medical conditions an aviation medical examiner can issue; evaluate certain medications and treatments approved for use by pilots; address ADHD, ADD, and mental health processes and policies; and review technologies to help red-green color blindness and their possible application for pilots.

S.1939 - FAA Reauthorization Act of 2023

By the way...here's the FAA's mandated periodic "report to Congress" from March of 2023 regarding the current status of Basic Med.

Effects of Regulatory Changes to Medical Certification of Certain Small Aircraft Pilots

Last edited:
Fly in to Class A on Basic Med?

Re Aburntsts comment #10:
. . .as the only restrictions for me are I can’t fly to Canada or go up into Class A airspace.

I was not aware of that restriction to Basic Med holders. I have searched for clarification on FAA website and no joy. Can you point me to a reg that states the restriction to not enter (go up into) Class A?

Re Aburntsts comment #10:

I was not aware of that restriction to Basic Med holders. I have searched for clarification on FAA website and no joy. Can you point me to a reg that states the restriction to not enter (go up into) Class A?

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med

Operating Requirements

- Carries not more than five passengers
- Operates under VFR or IFR, within the United States, at or below 18,000 feet MSL, not exceeding 250 knots.
- Flight not operated for compensation or hire

I always found it hilarious that we can use BasicMed for all IFR ops except class A airspace. Never understood that one. Wish they would do away with that one, I could probably make a career out of instructing in bigger aircraft at that point... Oh well, I'll keep the side job in bug smashers. :p

I always found it hilarious that we can use BasicMed for all IFR ops except class A airspace. Never understood that one. Wish they would do away with that one, I could probably make a career out of instructing in bigger aircraft at that point... Oh well, I'll keep the side job in bug smashers. :p
You also have a weight limitation as well as no more than six seats.

So, no TBM instruction for you...

It probably has more to do with the oxygen requirements (no cannulas above 18,000, etc.).

Mac cool nailed it. If the reauthorization goes through it opens up a lot of possibilities in aircraft (TBM and some Kings) Even if o2 was the reason for no A airspace that should be left up to the PIC, plenty of ways to get o2 up there. I don’t think that’s the reason though. I think they didn’t want us flying up there where it’s pretty much exclusively commercial ops. Just pointing out it doesn’t make sense as we can fly IFR in the soup where all the big boys play too.

So no one has heard about changes in basic med where you only need a driver license to fly

No, this is not part of BasicMed. Using a drivers license in place of an FAA medical certificate is allowed under sport pilot regulations. The new MOSAIC proposal would expand the use of a drivers license for flying larger and more capable aircraft. But this has nothing to do with BasicMed. BasicMed is completely separate from sport pilot, but if MOSAIC is finally approved and codified, you will have a choice of either using BasicMed or sport pilot for a large number of aircraft types.

It would be nice to be able to just do the self-certification online quiz thing and drop the physical, but I'm not holding my breath. Anything beats the 3rd Class Medical bureaucracy.

I'm finding the biggest pain with BasicMed is actually finding a family doctor willing to do it. I had a doc where I used to live who was willing, but I've since moved, and I still don't have a primary care doctor. New patient appointments are a 3-6 month wait, and they won't answer the "will you do BasicMed" question until you actually come in for the appointment. So it's 1. Schedule the appointment, 2. Wait 6 months, 3. Find out if they'll do it, 4. Repeat

If anyone knows a BasicMed-friendly doctor in the Sacramento, CA area, please PM me a recommendation :)

It would be nice to be able to just do the self-certification online quiz thing and drop the physical, but I'm not holding my breath. Anything beats the 3rd Class Medical bureaucracy.

I'm finding the biggest pain with BasicMed is actually finding a family doctor willing to do it. I had a doc where I used to live who was willing, but I've since moved, and I still don't have a primary care doctor. New patient appointments are a 3-6 month wait, and they won't answer the "will you do BasicMed" question until you actually come in for the appointment. So it's 1. Schedule the appointment, 2. Wait 6 months, 3. Find out if they'll do it, 4. Repeat

If anyone knows a BasicMed-friendly doctor in the Sacramento, CA area, please PM me a recommendation :)

Go to anyone who does CDL physicals. At least in Florida they will fill out the forms and are licensed in the state.

Go to anyone who does CDL physicals. At least in Florida they will fill out the forms and are licensed in the state.

Not automatic. I know several physicians that will do CDL exams and won't do Basic Med. Too much of an unknown, too much (perceived) liability risk, and in many cases their employer won't let them.

Note also that is has to be an MD or DO, not a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant. In some states, chiropactors as licensed as physicians :rolleyes: and therefore allowed to do them.

In some states, chiropactors as licensed as physicians :rolleyes: and therefore allowed to do them.

You answered your own question and thanks. The majority of chiropractors are independent and happy to do a Basic Med. 90% of pilots in my fly in community go to them. They also do CDL if you want to drive your big rig. :eek:

Last edited:
You answered your own question and thanks. The majority of chiropractors are independent and happy to do a Basic Med. 90% of pilots in my fly in community go to them. They also do CDL if you want to drive your big rig. :eek:

I didn't ask any questions on the subject, but yeah....chiropracters are licensed as "chiropractic physicians" in some states, Florida being one.

Last edited:
[QUOTE/ If anyone knows a BasicMed-friendly doctor in the Sacramento, CA area, please PM me a recommendation /QUOTE]

I don't know about California, but in this part of the world most of the physicians in the "walk-in" clinics will perform Basic Med exams.

[QUOTE/ If anyone knows a BasicMed-friendly doctor in the Sacramento, CA area, please PM me a recommendation /QUOTE]

I don't know about California, but in this part of the world most of the physicians in the "walk-in" clinics will perform Basic Med exams.

So i guess no one doesn't know about California, but does know about walk-in clinics in Tn..... good info..:D

And I did get my first Basic Med at a walk-in in Northern (way north) California.

No, this is not part of BasicMed. Using a drivers license in place of an FAA medical certificate is allowed under sport pilot regulations. The new MOSAIC proposal would expand the use of a drivers license for flying larger and more capable aircraft. But this has nothing to do with BasicMed. BasicMed is completely separate from sport pilot, but if MOSAIC is finally approved and codified, you will have a choice of either using BasicMed or sport pilot for a large number of aircraft types.
^^^ This is the answer to the OP. They aren’t talking about drivers’ license medicals for BasicMed, but expanding Sport Pilot through what’s called “MOSAIC.”
https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-proposes-rule-enhance-safety-and-performance-light-sport-aircraft

Lots and lots of wrong information in this thread, which is unusual for VAF.

The FAA IS NOT doing away with basic med, and driving with just a driver's license as a sport pilot is not going away. Under MOSAIC, if you are a sport pilot today and want to fly a plane with constant speed prop and/or retractable landing gear, you will need training, endorsement, AND basic med.

The devil is in the details.
Under MOSAIC as proposed, you won’t need BasicMed to fly a retractable or c/s prop. And a c/s prop alone doesn’t require an endorsement.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2023/july/25/mosaic-proposed-rule-published

Lots and lots of wrong information in this thread, which is unusual for VAF.

I re-read the thread as I'm just not seeing it. There were two different topics being discussed so perhaps some confusion.

So i guess no one doesn't know about California, but does know about walk-in clinics in Tn..... good info..:D

And I did get my first Basic Med at a walk-in in Northern (way north) California.

My HMO does them. Have you checked with your PCP?

I think I was the first one she'd done, right after it came out. As part of my annual check-up...she just wanted a day to read over the paperwork, then signed it off no problem. Next year, I see a little sign at the front desk with charges for various forms, and BasicMed was just an additional $10.

So for $10 every four years, I'm good to fly!

My HMO does them. Have you checked with your PCP?
I think I was the first one she'd done, right after it came out. As part of my annual check-up...she just wanted a day to read over the paperwork, then signed it off no problem. Next year, I see a little sign at the front desk with charges for various forms, and BasicMed was just an additional $10.
So for $10 every four years, I'm good to fly!

Since my PCP doesn't charge extra for BasicMed, I do it every year. That way if he decides to retire I have 3 years to find another benevolent Dr.

On line test

Since my PCP doesn't charge extra for BasicMed, I do it every year. That way if he decides to retire I have 3 years to find another benevolent Dr.

Mel,
Does having a basic med physician sign off every year mean you also do the online medical quiz every year?
Thanks

Not Mel here.... but I would expect Mel to keep in reserve a current medical signature if needed. And only need to test online every 2 years.

Physicals

Every four is plenty for me even though my PCP does it.
I get an annual wellness and a DOT every year. Two separate physicals. It used to be three every two years. That was not fun.
Getting tired of it and considering dropping my Class A. Problem is letting go of something so hard earned. Class A with all the endorsements plus morotcycle. Hate to let go of the Class A.

Back