What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is a black interior a bad idea?

I'm thinking about doing black seats, carpets, etc, in my RV-12iS to better match the paint scheme I have in mind, but I'm worried about heat - not just the seats, but also the carpets (which cover the fuel tank). Anyone have experience with this? Did you do leather, "ultra-leather", or the default vinyl-and-fabric material? Thanks!

i did black leather in my rv6 , one way to prevent heat build up is to use some type of tint or cover on the canopy

Well, living in Portland, you might get away with it. But definitely have a cover of some kind. My opinion: yes, it’s a bad idea. But only you know how much suffering you will tolerate to have the right ‘look’.

i did black leather in my rv6 , one way to prevent heat build up is to use some type of tint or cover on the canopy
Thanks! I've already got the canopy, which came with the default (slight) tint. It'll be hangared most of the time, and I'll definitely have a Bruce's cover and a Koger sunshade, but for short stops on sunny summer days, I was hoping to get away with just leaving the canopy latched ajar (per Van's and other recommendations about avoiding problems with vaporization of mogas, which I'm planning to burn most of the time).

Black leather or vinyl seats will be too hot touch after about 5 minutes in the sun without a cover. I have light grey seats and they still get warm. Besides being uncomfortable for you, the avionics will also be very hot in that environment. I learned that even on short fuel stops in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas in the heat of the summer, that my ipad would overheat and shut down. Had to take it into the fbo with me if I wanted it to be running for the departure. YMMV

My -6 predates the tinted canopies and has gray leather seats and which definitely get hot in the sun, so I rarely leave it sitting for long without a canopy cover. I expect with the tint it'd be a lot better. But whatever, if you really want black then worst case throw some towels over the seats. I don't expect the carpet to be an issue for the gas as it also provides some insulation (but that's just my guess).

Last edited:
No issues for me, love the black seats and grey carpet. I live in CO and do have a Kroger sun shade.
1717460791933.jpeg

I'm thinking about doing black seats, carpets, etc, in my RV-12iS to better match the paint scheme I have in mind, but I'm worried about heat - not just the seats, but also the carpets (which cover the fuel tank). Anyone have experience with this? Did you do leather, "ultra-leather", or the default vinyl-and-fabric material? Thanks!
In my Warrior years ago, the shoulder belt that was black, would burn the side of my neck. Black seats will not be hot while you are sitting on them. But they will be hot all of the other time. Make sure to use gray seat belts.

to better match the paint scheme I have in mind
Are you wanting to paint the airplane black? I'd advise against that.. I knew a guy with a black airplane and in the sun it would sit there on the ramp and "pop pop pop" out loud as the skins expanded! Embarrassing!

Are you wanting to paint the airplane black? I'd advise against that.. I knew a guy with a black airplane and in the sun it would sit there on the ramp and "pop pop pop" out loud as the skins expanded! Embarrassing!
Nope, not black on the outside: I’ve long planned to paint my plane like a J-3 Cub: yellow, black lightning stripe, black gear legs & steps. I was just admiring an actual Cub last week and thinking about what I should do about the interior; its interior was yellow, with black seats.

Just imagining how a super heated cockpit sitting on a ramp will affect that big acrylic canopy for expansion & cracking issues.
A Cub cockpit would be somewhat shaded by it’s wing.

Brian,
Have you seen a cub with black seats?
I haven’t
I’m sure there is a better compatible color for the interior
See you Friday…..
Jim

Back