What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is 10hz non-waas or 1hz waas better for GPS receiver?

FORANE

Well Known Member
I use a bluetooth GPS receiver with my android tablet. The last one I was using failed; these don't seem to be made for longevity as I have gone through a few over the years.

I just purchased a BT-Q818XT then after reading that waas may not be supported in 10hz mode I emailed Qstarz and asked.
Here was their reply:
WAAS will only be supported at 1 Hz mode

So my question is which mode is likely to deliver superior performance in the plane - waas and 1hz or 10hz non-waas?

An additional question would be which bluetooth GPS receivers (if any) deliver waas at 10hz?

I use a bluetooth GPS receiver with my android tablet. The last one I was using failed; these don't seem to be made for longevity as I have gone through a few over the years.

An additional question would be which bluetooth GPS receivers (if any) deliver waas at 10hz?

Hello Forane,

The Garmin GLO updates at 10 Hz.

Thanks,
Steve

WAAS is more accurate than non-WAAS, especially for the altitude data. The only thing you loose with 1HZ is less frequent position data updates which might cause a slight lag in the tablet display of your position, unless you are using it for pseudo attitude data also. Then the attitude display might be a bit jumpy?

I personally have not seen a significant position delay issue in my IPad with a 1 hz update rate.

I just purchased a BT-Q818XT then after reading that waas may not be supported in 10hz mode I emailed Qstarz and asked.
Here was their reply:
WAAS will only be supported at 1 Hz mode

So my question is which mode is likely to deliver superior performance in the plane - waas and 1hz or 10hz non-waas?

Back