What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IPad mini

So far, the internal GPS is better than expected, and the response time of the processor is extremely good.

I guess the 4G units (which include built in GPS) are available? I thought they were a couple of months out.

I went to the Apple store the other night and played with a Mini. This would fit much better in my RV. I think my plan is to use my first generation iPad until they introduce the 2nd generation Mini, then buy a 1st generation Mini at a discount.

which screen cover?

My problem was never the brightness for the iPad, but the reflection / glare. I solved this with an aftermarket anti-glare screen protector.
I will let you know how it looks in flight with the AG screen coating.

QUOTE]

thanks for the pirep Andrew....there are a LOT of $30 Anti-glare screen protector/laminates out there, which matte one did you get? Did you install it yourself?
I've been laminating things for 25 years, and I'm still scared to stick one of these to a $500 device, so I let the teenage girl at the mall put one on my iPhone! :)
( yes, I'm a big fat scaredy cat!)

Actually you don't need GPS for Foreflight to work either. Yes, if you intend to use it to track your position while flying it will be needed. However, if you are simply using Foreflight on the ground as a preflight planning tool it is not needed. This is true for any internet connectivity also. Again, if you are going to use it to access weather information and update data you will need to connect to the internet somehow, either by cell service or WiFi. But the overall functionality of Foreflight will not be disabled should you attempt to use it without GPS or internet connection. You will still be able to see the sectional information, airport information and even any old weather information you may have downloaded when you looked at it prior to disconnecting your internet connection.

So I am confused... Do I need a ADS-B receiver too with a cellular Ipad?, What does an ADS-B reciever do for the functionality of the Ipad with foreflight?

So I am confused... Do I need a ADS-B receiver too with a cellular Ipad?, What does an ADS-B reciever do for the functionality of the Ipad with foreflight?

The ADS-B receiver will give you dependable weather data in flight (in the sections of the country where there is coverage). The cellular data may be able to do that occasionally.

I guess the 4G units (which include built in GPS) are available? I thought they were a couple of months out.

They were two weeks behind the "plain" versions. I ordered a 32 gig with Verizon just to have some headroom for apps and charts, and an internal GPS.

iPad Mini in my future

I ordered my 32GB WiFi-4G on the first day and recieved it yesterday.

After meeting up with Tom and getting a comparison of his iPad mini and my iPad 2 side by side, I have to say that there will be an iPad mini in my future. It may be a year or two out but it was determined that the iPad mini could replace my iPad 2 and do everything that I would want. I emailed Tom 3 PDF files that are typical of the kinds of things besides ForeFlight that I use the iPad for. The IFR Approach plates are slightly smaller on the iPad mini but no problem reading them with my 2.25 progressive lenses. The magazine article was readable and photos clear, the other two PDF files could be read without enlarging or going to landscape. Yes I my use landscape more as my eyes get older but it appears that the mini does everything that I would want in the more desirable size.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for a backup and it may be ok but I really like the iPad a lot better. Storage space on the Android device is insufficient and APPs just are not available or up to the quality of the iPad apps. I dislike the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 mostly because I cannot relocate Apps or DATA to the micro SD that you would think would work. All I can find out it that only Video and mp3 files can be placed on the micro SD card.

I found the newest (4th generation) iPad on sale at BestBuy for $40.00 off. My brother bought one along with the Verizon hotspot (which gave him another $100 off of the iPad). All at BestBuy. Walked out with a 16 gig, gen 4, Wi-Fi only, iPad in white & HotSpot. With the Hotspot added onto his 'Shared' verizon plan he saved ~$175 over the 16 gig gen 4 iPad with 4G. The hot spot was also 4G. $519 total (including tax). YMMV...

Bob

performed as expected

The mini pad performed on par (Foreflite) with the iPad2 I have been using on a 1.5 hour flight to Bishop this past weekend. The only difference was the time the mini took to find itself in flight. Within 15 seconds the mini was at 5M accuracy in flight (cellular data and wifi turned off). This was significantly faster than my iPad2. And for my application (RV-8A) it's size is a vastly better fit. The mini fits a standard knee board, or RAM mounted as in the pic below.

v4a0yg.jpg

2rc0brs.jpg

As mentioned many times before, the screen can be diffucult to see in direct sunlight, but with my Kroger shade and tilting the screen, it is very usable.
YMMV.

Ipad newbie - which one?

I've been thinking about getting an Ipad for Christmas. I already have a 696 mounted in my plane but I don't want to spend the $$ to keep the databases updated - so the Ipad would be a supplement to the 696 and a cheaper way to have current charts on board.

I would hope that I would find other uses for the Ipad - not just for aviation, even though I prefer using a laptop for most things. Also, I would not want to pay for cellular service.

So which model Ipad should I get (Mini, Gen 4 full size, previous generation) and how much memory is really required?

Rick,

I have an 8 and would love to have a mini for the front seat. My wife has a iPad2 mounted in the back seat and it works great!

I would get the 3/4G capable iPad so you get a GPS signal. You don't have to subscribe to the service, but you will get the GPS.

As far as size, I don't find I use much of the memory and the 16GB is most likely enough.

Great tool!

If you fly a side-side, the full sized iPad works. It's us tandem flyers than may find the smaller mini more manageable up front.

As for memory, I strongly recommend 32GB. With foreflight, if you get all the charts for CONOS, you are close if not out of space when you download the next cycle of charts.

My ipad2 is at 15GB's.

Foreflight is using 2.7GB with 25 states downloaded.

The music at 3.0GB and I have a bunch of documents and apps that chewed up the rest to get me to 15GB.

I have leveled off and doubt I will go over the 15GB I currently use.

But, like Humpty said, if I decide to fly to the west coast I would need a few more GB's to squeeze those west coast states in.

So 32GB would probably give you all you need unless you want movies on it.

I know it's not an iPad, but I took my wife's new Nexus 7 Android tablet flying the other day, and found it to be quite readable in the cockpit. Better than my Aera 500, by a long shot, but not quite as good as my iPhone4.

The Wifi-only Nexus tablet does come with a GPS, btw... No need for the cellular model to get your location info.

......I would hope that I would find other uses for the Ipad - not just for aviation, even though I prefer using a laptop for most things. Also, I would not want to pay for cellular service.

?

Rick, I download the Augusta Chronicle newspaper daily, a $350 a year savings!

I also have the Kindle app for downloading books to read at half the hard copy price. (You can read them enroute with the ADI II doing the flying:))

Jenny has USA Today and the Wall Street journal apps on hers.

Best,

So, if I get the mini with data and cellular, i will get the gps functionality even though I don't have a cellular plan?
Chuck

So far in researching navigation soft ware, none of the IPAD products provide "track up" navigation.

Has anyone here found a APP that provides a "track up" course display option.

Every Garmin product since day one has it - except the Garmin Pilot APP. A tech rep said it may be coming in the future as many are asking for it. Fore Flight says the same thing.

IFLY 720 has it - they are indeed a pilot inspired company. I wish they would sell their soft ware for the IPAD mini.

I do not like none Apple computers, there are not user friendly for simple minded people like yours truly. :)

Hi David,
Wingx pro has track up capability. Look at their website for all the functions of this application. Maybe get the 6 out today if the wind does not kick up.

John

SkyChartsPro has track up. Still the best bang for the buck IMO. I paid $25 2 years ago....nothing more. Continuous updates!

Pierre
You should see a small icon in the upper right hand corner of the Skycharts map that says "up". Tap that to toggle back and forth between track up and north up.
erich

I am getting my iPad mini tomorrow. Has anyone found an anti-glare shield that they are really happy with? Any recommendations for a case? I will probably not use a case when it is RAM mounted in my -10, but am thinking I do want a case for out of plane use. Thanks.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I got a mini for Xmas. I've been shopping at monoprice.com really inexpensive stuff. Got a book style case for less than 10$ and it works fine. Also got a couple of anti glare screen protectors for a couple of bucks but haven't tried them yet. Just saw that Sportys has a neoprene case for 7.98 that looks like a winner. Also ordered a ram mount designed just for the mini, but it won't ship until mid Jan (from mypilotstore.com).

I've been playing with wing X and Garmin app on my ipad mini in the plane for a few hours of flight now. I really like the feel of the Garmin app. The big issue so far with garmin is the lack of track up and compass overlay which would turn the app into a clone of their GPS line. Everything else is awesome Wing X is a really nice app but its almost too busy and the work flow is forced. The number one like is the included gridded charts which is nice for CAP.

Skycharts

SkyChartsPro has track up. Still the best bang for the buck IMO. I paid $25 2 years ago....nothing more. Continuous updates!

Heartily agree! And my new mini is the perfect size too. I use BadElf(with Lightning adapter) as the GPS and am happy with the brightness situation.

Shame on me

for not reading all there was to read about on the ipad mini.
After much excitement following my purchase of an ipad mini and loading
fore flight and all the trimmings I found I could not get a GPS location when out of range of Wi Fi????
It is very simple, no GPS in the Wi FI only iPad .
It is clearly stated somewhere in this thread or another, that GPS is only included with the celluar version of the iPad as the GPS receiver is a part of the cellular circuitry.
I bought it mostly for flight planning on the ground and don't really need a third GPS on board but this post might save someone else from purchasing the wrong iPad.

thanks

I might try that instead of spending another $450 for a new ipad mini.
Everything else seems perfect and with the anti glare added it is very usable
in the RV-10.

Back