What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360-M1B rear baffle

I think you have to trim the upper portion of the baffle to fit the cowl. It is canted slightly rearward on my engine too. Installing the baffle is time consuming because not everything will snap into place like the rest of the plane.

Cylinder Tabs

There are tabs on the aft baffle that may make contact with the lower part of the cylinder barrels/flanges. Sometimes, these tabs limit your ability to position the baffle correctly. If this is happening, you must trim and/or bend the tabs to eliminate the interference, without creating large gaps for cooling air to leak into the lower cowl.

Ron B.

For what it's worth...

I was having a similar issue with the RV-7/8 200HP baffle pieces in the same location. I ended up ordering the equivalent part for the RV-14/IO-390 engine; I had to make a splice out of .032" to join the left rear inner and left rear outer baffle pieces, but I am much happier with the fit over all.

I get the impression that whatever engine was used for the "model" during the development of the baffle pieces was *not* the same engine that became widely available, IO-360-M1B or IO-360-A1B6...

Old joke -- Rumor has it that Lycoming made the same engine model one time...but that was just a rumor...

Back