What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360 M1B FWF kit from vans, anything else to order

nbachert

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi everyone, engine is on its way and I'm looking at ordering the fwf kit to mount things to the fw before the eng arrives. Anyone know of extra or other things to get that don't come with the kit. Also any other advice like make sure you do this first type of thing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Nick

I did not buy the FFW kit. I got the list from Van and pieced it.

I can tell you that how you configure your FFW makes a difference on the hoses. Most influential will be oil cooler location and fuel flow sensor location (or existence). The only hoses I used per the plans were the oil pressure hose and the fuel line from firewall to mechanical pump. The rest were either custom or an application of a Vans hose in a different spot.

I did not buy the FFW kit. I got the list from Van and pieced it.

I can tell you that how you configure your FFW makes a difference on the hoses. Most influential will be oil cooler location and fuel flow sensor location (or existence). The only hoses I used per the plans were the oil pressure hose and the fuel line from firewall to mechanical pump. The rest were either custom or an application of a Vans hose in a different spot.
Their FFW kit worked out great for me, only one of the fuel hoses was a bit short and wished it was a couple of inches longer.

Things that don?t come with FFW kit and you might want to add are a sniffle valve and an oil/air separator. They are not mandatory but useful. I also elected to go with B&C alternator and have been extremely happy with it.

Good luck

Get The FWF Packing List First.

Before you order anything, call Van's. The nice sales people will send you (email) a list of everything in the FWF kit. You can look up each item with the accessory search function to evaluate each line item for content and price.

Once satisfied, you can just place a voice order for what you want. I found it easier to do it that way. Be sure that you ask about all the OP drawings, as lessing off some parts will take away the OP drawing with it. Sorry, but I don't have a list of them, but I found this out the hard way. Much easier with the proper drawings!!

One of the good things about the Van's FF and electrical kits are once you figure out what is needed, stuff is left over and you can return it for credit. I returned a couple lines and the throttle bracket that would not work with the Airflow Performance fuel injector. A bunch of #2 crimped cables went back. No problem, Van's gives credit right away.

I also have Van's IO360 M1B and got the fwf kit. Would do it the same way again. This was about a year ago. All parts fit and I feel like I saved a lot of time and trouble. By the way, don' t know what older fwf kits included but mine had both a sniffle valve and Lord motor mounts. I did substitute eyeball type firewall cable penetrations instead of the plastic bushings.

Vans filtered air box

If you want I got an extra Vans Filtered Air Box (part of FWF kit) and can provide you at a discount.

Since there are a couple that say the FFWD kit was perfect, I want to ask whether the installations included fuel flow sensing. And if so, how was that accommodated in the kit?

Not quite perfect

I had to cut my snorkel in half to fit air filter placement. Also a big flat spot to clear starter. Apparently the snorkel is meant for the angle valve engine. Better than starting from scratch however.

No fuel flow sensor. Got mine with AFS engine monitoring package.

Good luck.

My snorkle did require an adjustment to clear the alternator bolt but was otherwise OK. To make the clearance just hold the snorkle in approx. Position on the FI servo and mark the point of contact with the starter bolt. Heat the spot up carefully with a heat gun and the fiberglass softens enough to press an indentation to clear the bolt. Another tip is to request Vans to substitute a 51.5" (in the catalog for the RV 10) mixture cable for the 50.5" that normally comes with the kit. My firewall penetration for the mixture was exactly per the plans, and the original cable would go in place, but I felt was stretched a little tight. Adding the extra inch was perfect.

PM Sent

Hi everyone, engine is on its way and I'm looking at ordering the fwf kit to mount things to the fw before the eng arrives. Anyone know of extra or other things to get that don't come with the kit. Also any other advice like make sure you do this first type of thing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Nick

Nick,

Please check your PM.

Thank you,

Awesome!

Thanks for all the advice and stuff people have for sale. I went through item by item and I'm confused with the fire sleeve and i0 sniffle hose. Is that just given in a certain length and you cut it or do you request a certain amount. I couldn't even find the sniffle hose in the search. The kit doesn't come with a battery just the mount kit, should I hold off on that till I figure out what battery I'm going with or will it probably fit in it? Has anyone ordered the vent-tg kit and built it? I think I might try it, every dollar counts at this stage, just wondering if its difficult. Thanks again for all the help and if you have anything else left over ill take it.

Nick

The sniffle hose is cut to fit and the fire sleeve is to cover the throttle cable where it passes over the exhaust. The battery most builders use is the Odessey PC 680. The battery fits the holder perfectly. I ordered and mounted mine fairly early on and then deleted it from the final fwf kit order. Vans will work with you on things like that so you can install items when it makes sense to you.

Last edited:
Back