What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390 Baffling

climberrn

Well Known Member
I have a baffling :rolleyes: question. I removed a parallel valve IO-360 with superior sump and am replacing it with an IO-390 from Barrett. It will have the same sump, exhaust and rear prop governor. According to them all my control cables, rod bower intake, and exhaust will (should) line up.

Will order all new hoses but wait until the engine is hung to verify size.

I am pretty sure I will need to re make the baffling. It is stock vans with the exception of a custom firewall oil cooler mount behind #4. Should I get the aluminum from Vans for the -7 angle valve or start with the -14 baffles? I don't have access to -14 plans and I believe the oil cooler is behind #3 for the -14.

I have a baffling :rolleyes: question. I removed a parallel valve IO-360 with superior sump and am replacing it with an IO-390 from Barrett. It will have the same sump, exhaust and rear prop governor. According to them all my control cables, rod bower intake, and exhaust will (should) line up.

Will order all new hoses but wait until the engine is hung to verify size.

I am pretty sure I will need to re make the baffling. It is stock vans with the exception of a custom firewall oil cooler mount behind #4. Should I get the aluminum from Vans for the -7 angle valve or start with the -14 baffles? I don't have access to -14 plans and I believe the oil cooler is behind #3 for the -14.

You'll need new baffling going from PV to AV. Besides the obvious cylinder shape change, the AV is wider than the PV so the front and back baffling will need to be redone. Also the 14 has the oil cooler on the FW behind number three and not on the baffling. I'd go with the -7 AV baffling.

Link to the -14 baffling plans: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwitp6-yzpaCAxUhHUQIHarcCpQQFnoECBsQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vansaircraft.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F01%2FRV-14_47.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2Q3MDeN1v7aFBmjifvmDjO&opi=89978449

Last edited:
I just installed the rv14 baffles on an IO390- A3B6 in my RV7. They fit the engine great, but there was quite a bit of trimming and adjusting required to make them fit the cowl. You'll also have to plug up the 5" hole behind #3 for the oil cooler duct and patch the cutout up front for the prop governor.

There are quite a few pictures on my build log if you want to take a peek. Or if you have an iPhone I can face time with you and show you what I did.

FYI- The 14 plans are online. Just google "RV14 section 47". it will be the first thing that pops up

I just installed the rv14 baffles on an IO390- A3B6 in my RV7. They fit the engine great, but there was quite a bit of trimming and adjusting required to make them fit the cowl. You'll also have to plug up the 5" hole behind #3 for the oil cooler duct and patch the cutout up front for the prop governor.

There are quite a few pictures on my build log if you want to take a peek. Or if you have an iPhone I can face time with you and show you what I did.

FYI- The 14 plans are online. Just google "RV14 section 47". it will be the first thing that pops up

Exactly the info I was looking for. I'll compare the -14 plans to my -7 plans. Do you think the -14 aluminum would be a better fit than the -7 angle valve baffles? Not able to pull up your builders log from the link in your signature.

Engine should be delivered in about a month. Just trying to get everything ready.

I'm afraid I can't answer that. I don't have any experience with the IO360 angle valve baffles. People said these fit well so that's what I went with.

They fit together easily and fit the engine really well but the inboard side of both inlet ramps had to be relocated inboard about 1/2" and the top edge had to be trimmed down about 3/8", which got it into the prepunched holes for the rubbers, so I had to relocate those lower down, which meant the pre-punched rubbers didn't line up any more. I ended up cutting new rubbers out of a roll of raw stock except for a couple of places.

strange that you ant open up that link. It's just the EAA kit log. Thats 100% the link, but here it is again.
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7WxtkKls2&cat=all&listcat=

I'm afraid I can't answer that. I don't have any experience with the IO360 angle valve baffles. People said these fit well so that's what I went with.

They fit together easily and fit the engine really well but the inboard side of both inlet ramps had to be relocated inboard about 1/2" and the top edge had to be trimmed down about 3/8", which got it into the prepunched holes for the rubbers, so I had to relocate those lower down, which meant the pre-punched rubbers didn't line up any more. I ended up cutting new rubbers out of a roll of raw stock except for a couple of places.

strange that you ant open up that link. It's just the EAA kit log. Thats 100% the link, but here it is again.
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7WxtkKls2&cat=all&listcat=

Link opened now. Will look at the pics. Already have a roll of baffling material so the pre punched holes don’t matter. Hopefully Vans will not have any issues getting parts out with their financial issues.

IO-360 plans

I looked through my plans and don't see the IO-360 plans. Could someone post a link to the baffling plans for the Angle valve baffles for the -7? Would like to compare them to the -14 -390 plans.

Back