What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intermittent 100 RPM Drop on Climb out..HELP.

TyWelch79

I'm New Here
Long time lurker, first time poster.. here is the scenario:
Taking off last night everything was running and firing great then about 5 minutes into our climb we observed a 100RPM drop which lasted a few seconds then cleared up. About a minute later, the same identical 100rpm drop with no other symptoms that cleared up after a few seconds. This lasted until we were about 10 minutes into our cruise at 12,500 at which point everything stayed smooth until our descent into the pattern at our home airport where we expereinced significant roughness and slight powerloss while adding power to arrest our descent. I added full power, climbed to above TPA and made an uneventful power off approach to landing. The engine did stumble again during the base to final turn.

The RPM drop event was always exactly the same, 100 RPM loss, no discernable change to MAP, EGTs, Fuel pressure, Fuel flow, or roughness..just reduced power. It was almost like we were experiencing random "Mag Checks" during these times. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I plan to replace all plugs and renew/inspect the plug connectors. I want to remove the aftermarket Soft-Start module from the plane to eliminate an unnecessary non-rotax electronic from the ignition system as well. I have checked all the wiring i can with the top cowl removed surround the ignition boxes and grounds. Looking for help or direction with this

Attachments

• Idahosunset.jpg
    Idahosunset.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 50
Doesn't the rotax have 2 lane selection switches? I would examine the key switch or lane selector switches, maybe inadvertently grounding out and shutting off a mag/lane (as you say, seemed like a mag check: maybe it is).

I had a similar issue, turned out to be a loose spark connector. The spring clip inside the plug cap had worn to where it wasn’t providing enough friction.

May be unrelated, but my connectors to the landing light was corroded and not tight. I cleaned/tightened and all was well.

Hold off on removing anything (too many changes).
Check plug wires, plugs. Test
Check ignition connectors (motor side). Test
Check ignition key and switched (clean etc). Test
Remove "soft start". Test

All I'm saying is list out your plan and do one thig at a time so you can isolate the issue not shoot the parts cannon at it.

I had a similar issue, turned out to be a loose spark connector. The spring clip inside the plug cap had worn to where it wasn’t providing enough friction.

Yes, clip inside spark plug cap gets worn from vibration. Also, the screw threads on the spark plugs themselves get a flat worn on one side from vibrating spark plug cap.

Download logs from your EFIS if available. This data will help diagnose and identify things you didn't have time to notice (e.g. did you see a small change in temp at the same time?)

1. Check your spark plug connectors. They can and do corrode.
2. Check your plugs for fouling and correct gap.
3. Check condition of ignition/lane wiring.
4. Check carbs/injectors for debris, clean them or replace (didn't see a mention of which engine you have, but from pic looks like legacy -12)

I would guess #4. Each of your RPM drops occurred during non-straight-and-level flight unless I'm misreading, which probably means something is getting into the correct position during these attitude changes to alter mixture.

Hey Ty - Sorry to hear about this. Coincidently, I'm having a bit of an ignition problem with the iS that I'm now troubleshooting.
Anyway, some background on my experience with that motor:

-- I did change the plugs at every condition inspection. Never had much buildup on any of them. The fwd RH plugs were a bit more "carbonized", but nothing significant.
-- As noted in earlier posts, I did have a plug connector "fatigue out". It was really obvious which one had failed. That was a few years back.
-- As part of my troubleshooting of my iS, I found some posts on ignition harness chaffing, and some guys did post pix.
-- I had a slightly different problem with 'smoothness' of the motor at some RPMs, and it was the rigging of one of the enrichment valve ('choke' to us old guys) on one carb . . . probably not a suspect, but thought I'd include it in the history.
Good Luck!

Possibly fuel related

You did not say if it is a ULS. If so perhaps fuel delivery on one side. Actually had a partial blockage (caused by old ethanol fuel) that made mine essentially a two cylinder at power. Ended up shutting down and getting 12 minutes of glider time with an uneventful dead stick landing back at my home airport.

Back