What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intake Manifold/System, Odd...and Bolt Torque?

VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
Anyone know what kind of intake system this is? Has a pipe-in-a-pipe. The engine is a Lycoming IO-360-B1B. RV-4 with a James cowl/plenum.

I've got a couple of things going on. At my CI three weeks ago, they were unable to get the intake pipes loose to replace the intake gaskets/hoses, and hopefully fix an induction leak that is affecting all 4 cylinders at the same time. The shop owner said he's never seen anything like this (just my luck :) ) The other issue points to the fuel servo needing overhaul.

Once back at my home airport after the CI, I decided to get this stuff done. I've removed the fuel servo and divider, sent it off for IRAN.

Now to tackle the intake system. Has anyone seen an apparatus like this? I'm guessing I'll need to remove all the intake flange bolts and lower this down as one piece.

And what is the torque setting for tightening the intake flange bolts?

Thanks in advance!

Oh...I'm replacing the sniffle valve, too. Who knows, this thing could be failing to close and thus creating a leak that would affect all cylinders at once. I'm thinking some type of sealant would be warranted when installing the new valve.

Attachments

• IMG_6163.JPG
    IMG_6163.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_6162.JPG
    IMG_6162.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_6164.JPG
    IMG_6164.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_6165.JPG
    IMG_6165.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_6159.JPG
    IMG_6159.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_6166.JPG
    IMG_6166.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Dave Anders used the same manifold until he made a new intake plenum - there is a KitPlanes article about it. Built for speed!!

Last edited:
It looks like you have the full SD set up, intake, sump and exhaust, which gives something like a 10% power bump. The installation instructions are on their website. Be aware the usual intake studs are replaced with bolts and O-rings are used to seal the cylinder end of the inlet tubes.

It looks like you have the full SD set up, intake, sump and exhaust, which gives something like a 10% power bump. The installation instructions are on their website. Be aware the usual intake studs are replaced with bolts and O-rings are used to seal the cylinder end of the inlet tubes.

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, intake bolts. And O-ring seals answer my question. I assume, then, that your standard Lycoming or Superior intake cylinder flange gasket will NOT work with this setup, right?

Has BOTH gaskets and o-rings?

I posted this in a separate thread...

Dropped the SD manifold down yesterday after finally finding a leak with the soapy-water check. I saw the edges of gaskets, but after removing the pipes, saw o-rings, too. Three out of the four cylinders were not leaky, only the back of #4.

So now what? Just go back with gaskets only? O-rings only? Both doesn't make sense. And you can see in a pic the o-ring on #4 was pinched (and this was the area of the leak.)

And, SD has mostly been NORDO on me; calls and messages-left go unanswered. If I knew what size/type these o-rings are, I'd get them from somewhere else.

Attachments

• Cyl 4c.JPG
    Cyl 4c.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6220.JPG
    IMG_6220.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 168
Correct, use the O-ring that SD specifies. The manuals are on their website.

I ordered these. It's a wag as best I could tell from using a ruler to measure one of the o-rings. Hope it fits. As well as I hope it is rated for the heat of a cylinder head.

Attachments

• 1173N425_High-Temperature Soft Silicone O-RingM.gif
    1173N425_High-Temperature Soft Silicone O-RingM.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 84
Wow! Talk about GREAT service from McMaster-Carr

I ordered these gaskets yesterday, regular UPS shipping, and they showed up today. And it looks like I guessed right: the o-rings are the exact size. I'm going to go with them, not wait for Sky Dynamics. I'll see how they work.

To anyone still looking at this thread:

Instructions call for 75-80 in-lbs torque on the flange bolts. SD also recommends a bit of anti-sieze or other thread lube on the bolts.

Back