What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance checkout needed

Gnvflyer

In order to get insurance on my recently completed RV9A, my insurance company wants me to get a "checkout" in same make and model by a CFI with at least 25 hours in make and model.

I live near Gainesville, Florida.

Any CFI's out there with a 9A?

In order to get insurance on my recently completed RV9A, my insurance company wants me to get a "checkout" in same make and model by a CFI with at least 25 hours in make and model.

I live near Gainesville, Florida.

Any CFI's out there with a 9A?
What you are asking for, if I understand you correctly, is to hire a cfi who will also furnish his EAB 9A, to give you instruction for hire. This is a violation of the FARs. However, the cfi (or any owner) can obtain a waiver of this rule (a ‘LODA’) for the specific purpose of giving ‘transition training’. That’s what you’re looking for. Along with that, standard insurance policies do not cover giving dual for hire in the instructor’s airplane. That’s more cost. The only two cfi’s I know of for this are Alex in TX and Mike Seager in OR. Another option would be to get an insurance-approved pilot to fly off phase 1 in your rv9 (perhaps you qualify to be the observer pilot under the two-pilot rules). Once in phase 2 no LODA is needed to get dual instruction in your airplane.

Back