What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing rebuilt carb

MarkCFI

I’m installing a rebuilt carb on my o-320.

I’ve done a search and found torque setting for the parts on the carb but I’m looking for the torque settings for the nuts that hold the carb to the engine?

Also curious if there is any thread locker used for these nuts ? Should the washers under the nuts be replaced?

There are also 4 bolts that hold the plate that forms the top of the FAB on to the carb. These are safety wired in my current installation. Are there specific torque values for these?

Thanks

IMG_0143.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg

I reuse the flat washers, but I use new internal teeth lock washers. Also the airbox bolts definitely need to be safetied, some of the wire in your picture isn’t as perfect as it could be..
Agreed. Redo the safety wire! If you aren't sure, look up what it is supposed to look like. That is a good example of what it probably shouldn't look like! Yes: flat washers can be reused. Starred lock washers should be tossed as soon as they are taken off and a new one put on the bolt in preparation to reinstall it.

Last edited:
Sorry for an additional question. I ordered new internal star lock washers and I’m ready to hang the new carb.

I believe the order of placement on the studs after holding the carb up to the mounting point is as follows.

Flat washer
Internal star lock washer
Then the nut. Correct?

Last question is the orientation of the prongs on the star lock washer. Do they face the flat washer or do they face the nut?

Thanks

Sorry for an additional question. I ordered new internal star lock washers and I’m ready to hang the new carb.

I believe the order of placement on the studs after holding the carb up to the mounting point is as follows.

Flat washer
Internal star lock washer
Then the nut. Correct?

Last question is the orientation of the prongs on the star lock washer. Do they face the flat washer or do they face the nut?

Thanks
Your order is correct.
All the "star lock washers" I have, prongs are on both sides so it does not matter.

I don’t think there’s a difference on the facing of the star washers.. they have teeth alternating on both sides, don’t they?

It looked like either way to me but there was some info in the wild that indicated you had to face the prongs in a specific direction..

So I wasn’t sure.

I appreciate the feedback. Should have it buttoned up and ready for a test flight this weekend.

Back