What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing AOA Probe in QB Wing

dmjepsen

I'm New Here
I just received my QB wings and am wondering how best to route the extra pressure line required for the AOA Probe. My gut feel is that drilling an extra hole in the assembled wing ribs would prove quite difficult. Any suggestions?

Pitot Tubing In Wings

Your quick build wings should have the bottom skin uninstalled, so you can access the area for routing wire and tubing. I found that running the tubing along the J-channel fit well. You need to secure it with RTV at each rib, to avoid wear from vibration/movement.

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 80
I found that my 14 QB wings did not have enough pre punched holes for the wiring harnesses and tubing for pitot & AOA. Discussed with Van's if I could use the attached document to add and enlarge existing holes for the 14. They confirmed I could. I felt a lot better running wires and tubing through plastic bushings. By using the bushing they are well protected and at the same time wires/tubing can be changed or added to in the future.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/faq-technical-builder-items/wing-wiring-routing-wires-in-the-wings/

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate them. This will be somewhat of a challenge as the QB wing as shipped from Vans has 43" of the bottom inboard skin already installed.

This isn't an impossible job in a QB wing if you have a pneumatic angle drill (which will come in handy innumerable times later anyway). A drill bit extension that can accommodate a Unibit will come in handy in the wing root area as well.

Did what you are asking a few weeks ago in my 10 QB wings. Bit extension and a unibit worked as well as an angle drill. Add grommets and your golden. Take your time you can do it.

Keith

Here are the additional holes I added and upsized. The inboard of the wing was a bit of a challenge but I used an extension and this right angle drill with a step drill bit.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/de...J7AgWV69413hwMDdIbsaAqedEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I considered running along the "J" channel but there is the real potential for chafing and I did not want to use anything permanent in nature like RTV or silicone. As a note with the 14 QB wings you can run wire after the bottom skin is on by getting access from the wing tips, wing root, and the inspection holes. Not sure about the RV-10

Here are some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpg
    IMG_1733.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1734.jpg
    IMG_1734.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1754.jpg