What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installation/Wiring of Flyled Quad Spotlight

I have purchased a pair of Flyled Quad Spotlights to replace the two HID lights in the wings of my RV-8A. I will also be installing the wig/wag switch at the same time. It is optional to wire so than only one light in each unit comes on for taxi. Any thoughts on the value of running the additional wires and adding a switch versus the simple install? The literature suggests that the combined lights on while taxing might be blinding for other aircraft. Thanks for any input you may have.

I have them set up so my taxi light is the one diffused light (both sides) and the landing light are the other three. When I wigwag, it only wigwags the landing portion.

Last edited:
I have purchased a pair of Flyled Quad Spotlights to replace the two HID lights in the wings of my RV-8A. I will also be installing the wig/wag switch at the same time. It is optional to wire so than only one light in each unit comes on for taxi. Any thoughts on the value of running the additional wires and adding a switch versus the simple install? The literature suggests that the combined lights on while taxing might be blinding for other aircraft. Thanks for any input you may have.
I have separate switches for both the landing light and taxi light that have been there since I built the airplane. The landing light would likely be more annoying (?blinding?) for pilots on the ground as it is aimed higher. I only have one quad for my landing light and a halogen for taxiing but it is OK to use both quads. The diffusers provided by FlyLED should help diffuse the taxi light brightness. My wig-wag are hooked up similar to schematic D in their provided drawings. I have the wig-wag module; the schematic for the switch might be different. The quad light is, indeed BRIGHT! Makes our small airplanes more visible!

Attachments

• IMG_6129_1708280534797.jpg
    IMG_6129_1708280534797.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I have a separate switch for landing and taxi that have been there since I built the airplane. The landing light would likely be more annoying (?blinding?) for pilots on the ground as it is aimed higher. I only have one quad for my landing light and a halogen for taxiing but it is OK to use both quads. The diffusers provided by FlyLED should help diffuse the taxi light brightness. My wig-wag are hooked up similar to schematic D in their provided drawings. I have the wig-wag module; the schematic for the switch might be different. The quad light is, indeed BRIGHT! Makes our small airplanes more visible!
Thanks for the input

Hi Bill
The Taxi power input is optional and it simply gives you the ability to taxi without having your 'high beams' on. If you only ever fly into quiet places then it's not an issue, otherwise just turn your lights off (leaving your position/nav lights on) as you pass someone on the taxiways.
You can always run the second wire at your next annual when the plane is already pulled apart.

Back