What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Indy to Portland, ME - What to see in-between?

f1rocket

Well Known Member
It's looking like the monsoons are about to get pushed out of the upper Midwest and New England starting tomorrow. I think I'll head East and see what happens. I'd love to here of any suggestions for places to stop and see. Gotta be quick with the suggestions though, I'll probably leave in the morning. Thanks.

N38

N38 Wellsboro, PA

"the Grand Canyon of PA" probably along your route. Beautiful but rural area. And "mountainous" by PA Standards

What's to stop and see...

A few things we've seen, enjoyed, and moved by over the years:
Gettysburg and Valley Forge (may be a bit east of your path)
Shanksville PA (9-11 crash site)
Bath ME has a large shipyard, Just a bit North of Portland. (you'll see the cranes from the air not long after passing Portland).
Freeport ME is the main store of LL Bean. Go down the the riverfront docks for fresh Lobstah
Niagra Falls from the air and/or ground
Toronto, Canada (land at the island airport, take a ferry into downtown, check about Customs service there)

All I can recall for now. i'm sure you'll get many suggestions.
Have an enjoyable and safe trip!

Randy,

We will be booting around the Boston and Maine area this coming weekend if you want to meet up with some of our contingent.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

:) CJ

Thanks guys,

The trip got postponed for now. With Airventure coming up, I am planning to make the trip in August or September, when my son can get off work.

Good suggestions. I will plan more carefully now that I have the time. One thing I do want to do is fly the Hudson River valley on the way back and fly the VFR corridor past Manhattan and The Lady. That's a Kodak moment for sure.

Circling the Lady and Portland

Trip:
departed Cincinnati Saturday
Saturday Poughkeepsie - FDR Presidential Library
Sunday, walk the Hudson river bridge in Poughkeepsie and fly around the Lady then tour Block Island and then to Goodspeed airport 42B and stay and B&B
Monday, Nantucket and return to Goodspeed airport
Tuesday, Portland Maine
Wednesday, Freeport Maine
Thursday, Portsmouth VT, Submarine and tour the town and lighthouse
Friday, Norwich VT and Burlington VT and drive to Montreal
Saturday, Montreal
Sunday, return to Cincinnati

FDR home
IMG_20150801_145526.jpg

FDR grave site
IMG_20150801_145317.jpg

FDR patio
IMG_20150801_150537-EFFECTS.jpg

Hudson
IMG_20150802_110952.jpg

The Lady
IMG_20150802_111134.jpg

Fire Island
IMG_20150802_112026.jpg

Block Island
IMG_20150802_123248.jpg

Goodspeed 42B
IMG_20150802_173153.jpg

Goodspeed Opera House
IMG_20150803_053019.jpg

Nantucket
1DLATE3msfI1dzFAu8-D_QrSFJZEl_n1sHU591GTMjk=w558-h744-no

continued

Portland Maine, Gilbert's
IMG_20150804_132402.jpg

Freeport
IMG_20150805_152753.jpg

Portsmouth VT
IMG_20150806_130239.jpg

Albacore Sub
IMG_20150806_131723.jpg

Old Orchard Beach
IMG_20150805_200903.jpg

Norwich VT, King Arthur Flour
IMG_20150807_125324.jpg

Burlington VT
IMG_20150807_143824.jpg

Timely post Steve. My son and I are leaving next week for the trip out to Portland, ME. Thanks for the pictures.

You didn't visit the Lobster Shack in Porland??

so many Lobster places in Maine, we couldn't do them all. note: Lobster harvest is good this year. recommend the Blueberry beer with the Lobster roll at Gilbert's in Portland.

Wow Steve! You cover some grounds in your RV9A having fun on the way. Nice views of NYC! Come back to fly by real Fire Island :D

Randy, If you are going to portland, consider Brunswick instead. It is about 6 seconds North of Portland...

The airfield is nothing to see. Used to be a military base. I rented a car there on my first trip after I bought my plane. You can leave the airport and turn right maybe twice and head out all the way to Lands End giftshop on Bailey Island. We used to vacation there when I was a kid. On the way you will see and cross the worlds only (??) honeycomb bridge. On the far end is Cook's Lobster House (been in a few commercials). You can get a meal there but there are other roadside places to eat lobster as well. Orr's Island and Bailey Island are very picturesque Main lobster towns. The honeycomb bridge connects them. Much less urban than Portland.

If you need help with the Hudson, I am at KBLM. Send me a message and I will fly with you or give you some opinions.

Have a great trip. Andy

love that maine lobster

i did my lobster run the day before mr vip came to town. landed at katama and did the dollar bus ride to edgartown. sat at the waterfront resturant and enjoyed a good meal.
F2DA80EE-7D65-4843-B01B-747860DFB301.jpg

57B0A1A8-FAE8-4C7E-95FC-6AFB188199BE.jpg

Wow Steve! You cover some grounds in your RV9A having fun on the way. Nice views of NYC! Come back to fly by real Fire Island :D

which one is that? I probably have my NY islands screwed up in the photo's. We had a great trip and Carole liked it.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I will add your suggestions to my list of items. I was going to Portland to visit a friend of mine from a previous employer. Not a fan of all the traffic too.

I read the advisory on flying the Hudson River cooridor. Other than staying between 1000 MSL and 1299 MSL and the VFR reporting points, anything else I need to know?

I flew it on Sunday at 11AM. It was crazy busy. Take the FAA on-line course. Call a briefer and ask about any TFRs and get your name on file that you did that. Required on board NY TAC and helicopter route charts. Choose a less busy time than I did because I considered it dangerous and will not do it again unless I find a less busy time. But of course, my wife thought it was great and said immediately "let's do it again".

Last edited:
I just got back from this trip. Had a blast. Made it all the way to Bar Harbor from Indy in one day. Return trip the same. Who says that a RV-12 is not a cross country machine. I'll post the pics once my son sends me his photos.

Couple of quick notes. The trip up the Hudson past Manhattan was awesome. Very busy but way cool. Also, this Dynon "Trim Up" and "Trim Down" **** makes the AP almost unusable. I need a fix.

Had some awesome food and saw awesome scenery. I would recommend a trip up there to anyone. More to come in another thread in a day or two.

Fla-Maine

my wife and I will make the trip next month, last week of the month in fact, also light sporting it. I hope the weather works out to fly all coastal and up the Hudson then make it back to the Maine coast and land in bar harbor. May make it a 2 day trip, we will see.
Fall foliage should be prime. Should be seeing north of Katadin before heading back south. Going to visit family. Looking forward to it. I am expecting mind blowing views.

Back