What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If you built an Airpark, Where and Why?

If I built an airpark I'd do it on a site I've been watching a long time. It is now a giant pasture, but during WWII it was one of the outlying training fields for Gunter AAFS, a mirror twin to its sibling, now know as 08A. The access on the east side is still called Airport Road.

They say real estate is all about location. This is a few minutes off I-65, about twenty minutes to Montgomery downtown, Maxwell AFB, and a VA medical center, and 15 minutes or less to the very nice shopping areas at Prattville AL. Birmingham is an hour or so, Atlanta downtown in less than 3, and about the same to most of the Gulf coast. Very low property taxes, airplane taxes, etc.

If you can buy and develop as a nice grass strip sort of place, I'll cheerfully take a lot:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Airp...t+Rd,+Deatsville,+Autauga,+Alabama+36022&z=10

Well, Ive been away for a few days working an ethylene pipeline leak. Looks like i missed quite a bit of discusion.

I would love to be able to start an airpark in Louisiana. I just dont know if I could ever gety the support to do so. The Louisiana people dont like spending money, and alot of small buisness suffers because of this. this would be my biggest concern about starting one here..

Now as far as out of the state of Louisiana for me my requirements would be as follows.
1: Close to Medical Care
2: Within 45 Min of work. Same as #1 for me. (Not all of us are retired yet.. Only 40 more years for me):cool:
3: 30min Max to town, (groceries, fuel, school, ect)
4: Not many neighbors nearby
5: A prestine 3,000ft Minimum Turf runway. (It would look like a putting Green)
6: Climate.. Not a huge dealbreaker.. Heat doesnt bother me but 65-70 is nice. Just saying :rolleyes:
7: Minimum of 1.5 acre lots in a gated park.
8: Great Neighbors..

How about this for a great Air Park Location ?, Steve Allens Road, Karnak, Victoria , Australia.
236 Acres, 5 miles south of Goroke - best town and people you will find anywhere. Boating, fishing, camping - you name it - all close by.
Naracoorte caves, Little desert national park, Grampians ranges and city of Horsham all a short drive away (by our standards).

All i need is a few willing business partners and investors !!!!

https://maps.google.com.au/maps/pla...IKoOaeemQWMroDwDA&sig2=d_rkFUoZkLi5epVKD9q3vA

I'm rather partial to Alpine in Wyoming. I have visited, but now flown in. Not much for a population center and about an hour from skiing. Anything you can imagine outdoors and lots like epic flying. It does get harsher winters though. Dayton is intriguing as well, but I haven't had a chance to visit there. I lived in Reno for several years and didn't know it was an airpark until after I left. I like the Reno/Carson/Tahoe area though the trails get a bit crowded sometimes in the summer.

Last edited:
DanH, you forgot it is pretty close to Bass Pro Shop! I sure wish I was able to get together with you when we last visited our daughter, son in law, and grandson when they were stationed at Maxwell. Now they are at Hickam so we will probably be going there on vacation rather than Prattville!! Merry Christmas and come on out here for a "working vacation"! haha!

If I built an airpark I'd do it on a site I've been watching a long time. It is now a giant pasture, but during WWII it was one of the outlying training fields for Gunter AAFS, a mirror twin to its sibling, now know as 08A. The access on the east side is still called Airport Road.

They say real estate is all about location. This is a few minutes off I-65, about twenty minutes to Montgomery downtown, Maxwell AFB, and a VA medical center, and 15 minutes or less to the very nice shopping areas at Prattville AL. Birmingham is an hour or so, Atlanta downtown in less than 3, and about the same to most of the Gulf coast. Very low property taxes, airplane taxes, etc.

If you can buy and develop as a nice grass strip sort of place, I'll cheerfully take a lot:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Airp...t+Rd,+Deatsville,+Autauga,+Alabama+36022&z=10

Cooperd0g, I have been through Alpine many times. My wife and I went to college in Rexburg a LONG time ago. We either went through Driggs or Alpine to get to Jackson Hole. I didn't know there was an airpark there. I looked it up and it looks nice. Dayton is another interesting place. I almost did a housing development there in the early 90's when things were just getting started. Nice golf course. The airpark is nice and I am amazed it hasn't done better than it has. My father built the FBO and airport in Cameron Park (O61) and many of the homes in the airpark. I am keeping my eyes open for property here in Colorado that could work as an airpark. Maybe someday...

I'm rather partial to Alpine in Wyoming. I have visited, but now flown in. Not much for a population center and about an hour from skiing. Anything you can imagine outdoors and loos like epic flying. It does get harsher winters though. Dayton is intriguing as well, but I haven't had a chance to visit there. I lived in Reno for several years and didn't know it was an airpark until after I left. I like the Reno/Carson/Tahoe area though the trails get a bit crowded sometimes in the summer.

Hicks T67

Most airparks are for millonars. Big houses with attached Hangers.

Hicks has hangers, Ts, to 100' X100' some live- ins and most not. A person can have a T for 45K,, or a 60x 85 for 220K, or a 100x100 for 350K, something for every one. Use a bottle of weed killer for your lawn mower. Have an apartment or a full blown house inside your hanger.

It is a bonus to have a hanger and not extra land, not have to own a house and the assoiated expenses. We own the common taxi ways and airport. Pay yearly dues and have reasonable CCR rules.
I think my airport is a winning combination. Close to Fort Worth, Texas. Just wish it was closer to Idaho, with Texas weather.
IF? A Hicks type airport was in southern Colorado, or Northern New Mexico. We would have a real good location, Idaho and Montana a day away, sking real close, and New Mexico, and Utah's out back airstrips close. Wow that would be good!!

Last edited:
Most airparks are for millonars. Big houses with attached Hangers.

Hicks has hangers, Ts, to 100' X100' some live- ins and most not. A person can have a T for 45K,, or a 60x 85 for 220K, or a 100x100 for 350K, something for every one. Use a bottle of weed killer for your lawn mower. Have an apartment or a full blown house inside your hanger.

It is a bonus to have a hanger and not extra land, not have to own a house and the assoiated expenses. We own the common taxi ways and airport. Pay yearly dues and have reasonable CCR rules.
I think my airport is a winning combination. Close to Fort Worth, Texas. Just wish it was closer to Idaho, with Texas weather.
IF? A Hicks type airport was in southern Colorado, or Northern New Mexico. We would have a real good location, Idaho and Montana a day away, sking real close, and New Mexico, and Utah's out back airstrips close. Wow that would be good!!

I like the way Jay thinks. I would love to be your neighbor at the location you describe.

Last edited:
Google Hicks T67

Google Hicks T67, I think this airport was done right!
We have septic systems, that could have been doen better,,,
My hanger, 584 Aviator Dr, is set back and has grass in front,, My hanger could be 33 feet deeper but when I built 12 years ago this was all the $$ I had to spend. It is 60'x85',,,, ok,,, but wish I would add another 25 feet to the front.
Just takes $$$ and they are coming in slower these days.
I live in a 20'x20' 'office' on the mezzanine. After 12 years I am slowwwly adding a kitchen and bedroom. It is on the tax rolls at about $174,000

a neighbor,, RV6a has a 60'x 70' hanger with a nice apt on the mezz has two RV hanger mates RV 7 & 4. The two rents cover his taxes and property acossiation dues.
We have it good here, no yearly taxes on our airplanes and no state income tax, property tax is high. My hanger is about $600 a month Tax and dues + elect and H2O

I have neighbors that work hourly jobs, like Lockeed, Bell Helicopter, and others that make big $$, we all have airplanes and fly a lot, thanks to good Texas WX and generaly low 100ll prices, around $4.65 these days.

Last edited:
Back