What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IBBS Continued Airworthiness

StuBob

Well Known Member
The manual for my TCW Technologies IBBS system has an Instructions for Continued Airworthiness section. It describes an endurance test, ending with “If the IBBS no longer meets the endurance testing requirement, the back-up battery may need replacement.” Nowhere does it define what the “endurance testing requirement” is.

I emailed TCW, who replied that I could define the requirement however I wanted — Experimental, and whatnot.

Do you follow the TCW instructions for testing the IBBS? If so, what result are you looking for? And how do you recharge it after the test?

There is a pin that is set for charging the device separately from the aircraft bus power if you want. I just charge it with the aircraft when I’m flying. I only test it by turning it on in emergency on the ground to update my databases on my navigator. There is a second pin that will give you a low battery light and you can also measure the voltage across the output.

Either way you could run all the stuff you want to run until it gets below a threshold you set (I’d say 11.8 or so, whatever you are powering and it’s min voltage). Measure the time it takes to get to that point. Then measure it annually to see if you can get that same time.

And remember, it is experimental! So have some fun with it if you want, you can do mild to wild testing. It will only matter to you and how you want to operate.

Dynon’s back up battery required 3/4 hour endurance. It charges on the next flight for me but I’m VFR only.

Testing Device (Very cheap)

I use these to test my batteries. If the battery (mains or back-up battery) doesn't hold 80% of their rated amps hours' time to change. You can note voltage at 80% in your CI and monitor the degression. Note lithium technology the voltage reduction is rather flat for the majority of the discharge.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-08 194038.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-08 194038.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 92
Back