What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I-K Technologies IK2000

Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
I would like to get some feedback from anyone using the IK2000 or any of the I-K Technologies monitors. I am considering using them in my bi-plane because of VERY limited panel space.
Thanks, Mel...DAR

Mel,

I've been flying behind one for almost 3 years now and I can't say anything bad about it at all. In fact, I REALLY like it. Granted, it's not the big screen type engine monitor, but works EVERY bit as well. Since everything is there and is green when good, yellow and red when bad/almost bad, it's really intuitive.

Also, just to note that IK is now going to have an engine monitor that will talk to the Chelton EFIS's (we are putting one of their new AIM-4000's into a Chelton RV-10 panel in a couple weeks), so there will be even more goodies to be had.

All in all, you can't beat that engine monitor for it's price and functionality.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers,
Stein.

Thanks Stein,
That's just the kind of information I was looking for. The rear panel on my bi-plane has only about 4" of depth to the back of the front seat. Any instruments longer will have to reside on the sides, without much room there.
This will be a local, "fun" type airplane so I don't need much in the way of engine monitor, but their new IK3000 fills the bill for both flight and engine instruments. If anyone out there has any negative comments, I would really like to hear them.
Mel...DAR

IK engine monitor

I went to a presentation by the head honcho of IK, and it was very good. He was funny, very smart, and seemed to really know his stuff. He made a very good impression on me. I've already got the GRT EIS 4000, which also seems to be a good system, but I'm not flying yet.

Why not to use IK-2000

It doesn't do EGT peak detection, that I can tell. That's one of the biggest reasons I steered clear of it.

If it's not going to detect the first cylinder to peak, it at least should show you numeric resolution on all four cylinders -- which it doesn't. You have to cycle to see them.

How will you know when the first cylinder peaks as you lean? Those little bar LEDs sure aren't gonna give you a good enough indication of it.

Hey, I'm not saying it's the end of the world. Planes flew just fine before "peak detection" became a buzzword. But I figure, if you're gonna bother with an expensive engine monitor at all, at least it should do its job.

I also met with Ralph from I-K Technologies. He was kind enough to give me a one-on-one demo of the system when I was shopping for an engine monitor. I was left with more questions about features it didn't have than I would have expected.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Dan, Thanks for the feedback, but under my circumstances peak EGT is not a factor. The Jabiru engine has automatic mixture control. This is not a cross-country airplane, just local fun and aerobatics, and peak EGT is not a concern.
Mel...DAR

dan said:
It doesn't do EGT peak detection, that I can tell. That's one of the biggest reasons I steered clear of it......

How will you know when the first cylinder peaks as you lean? Those little bar LEDs sure aren't gonna give you a good enough indication of it......

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Au Contraire I'm afraid....How many hours have you flown behind one of these? I have for hundreds of hours with my injected engine aggresively running LOP and it works just fine. All of their newer generation units will display ALL 4 EGT's or ALL 4 CHT's at once.

Couple of friendly "counter points":

1) Not to sound sarcastic here, but come on....does your engine regularly peak on random cylinders thereby necessitating the need for the computer to tell you which one is there first? Most Lyc's I've flown behind only take a little while to learn which cyl is has the hottest cht and hottest egt, and they usually behave close to the same way repeatedly. If things are changing so much that it's an absolute necessity to have the computer tell you which one leans first on today's flight verses yesterdays flight, it might raise my curiosity.

2) In general if your EGT spread is fairly wire (50+ degrees...about a 5% variation at normal lean EGT peaks) across the cyl's, the same cylinder normally displays the same characteristics and you simply set the readout to show you thay cyl. You can have it also show you all 4 at once if you desire. My point being, you get used to watching that normally "hot" cyl when leaning your engine.

3) If you EGT spread is nearly perfect or "GAMI-ized", then a spread of 10 degrees really doesn't matter that much at all (at 12-1400oF...that's less than 1% variation). Pick a cylinder and lean to it.

4)Last but not least, I'd be cautious when lumping this in with the "high cost" or as you quoted "expensive" units. I believe the unit you're flying behind cost almost double (+/-) a lot of the IK stuff, so of course you'd expect it to do a bit more.

My above message may sound defensive or biased, but it's really not. I'm in a unique situation in the fact that I literally get to play with most of the engine monitors out there (and usually have at least 1 of each in the shop), as well as representing and selling units from Chelton, Grand Rapids, Dynon, Advanced Flight Systems, IK Technologies, etc... I truly believe each one of them has their own pros and cons, value, and placement in a particular persons airplane, and fill a particular need. Any of them that you buy will be better than steam gauges, and most people will be happy with whichever one you choose.

Not saying the IK stuff is any better or worse than the others, but in this market it's nearly impossible to do an Apples to Apples comparision between products given the vast differences in price, display, sensors, probes, installation, engines, users, functionality, etc... Pick the one you like and works best for you and buy it. You'll be happy!

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Back