What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How would you fix this?

Tram

Well Known Member
Recently picked up a 6 project and I'm going through it, trying to find everything that appears to need to be fixed before I go further.

I've been e-mailing Vans on this with regard to the best way they'd recommend a repair. They don't seem to think the longeron needs to be replaced and this can be worked through, so that's a great thing, but it was suggested I run it by this group, so here it is...

I'm really not sure what happened here and it is completely not representative of the rest of the build, but something got squirrely here. :confused:

This is the upper longeron, just in front of the instrument panel "bulkhead." Long time operator, first time builder and I don't have the plans set yet to call out specific part numbers. This is where the upper skin that covers the avionics bay will be riveted.

It looks like I should, I believe, be able to maintain MED on them. I checked the distance as best I could with a dial caliper and I'm showing ~0.20" from the edge of the hole to the edge of the longeron, that should give me better than ~0.20" from the center of the hole.

Vans has thus far suggested possibly an "oops rivet" with a "rivet washer" or small doubler tab might be a good idea.

But, I thought I'd run it by you guys..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 223
I do wonder how the rest of it looks, because what's in the picture all appears to be a bit ratty, to be honest! :confused:

In any case I would not try to use that hole (just clean it up to remove the stress risers) and would instead place the rivet in a new hole fwd of that position, with adequate edge distance to the rivets on either side of it.

I do wonder how the rest of it looks, because what's in the picture all appears to be a bit ratty, to be honest! :confused:

In any case I would not try to use that hole (just clean it up to remove the stress risers) and would instead place the rivet in a new hole fwd of that position, with adequate edge distance to the rivets on either side of it.

Nothing wrong with honesty. It's not that bad, that said, it's not been built by a 5 time Lindy winner, but I know the lineage of the individuals who have helped work on this build and they're all solid builders.

Check the forward top skin and look at the match drilled hole. You’ll get a better answer on how to fix once you cleco it on around the flubdub.

If the skin hole is not messed up, rivet a doubler on the longeron and drill match the doubler.

If the hole is slightly messed up, a doubler, and drill match for an oops rivet.

If the skin hole is buggered up, put a rivet in to the right and fill the hole in the skin with epoxy/filler when it comes time to paint or drill it for a countersunk screw and install a nut plate on the longeron.

Send us a picture of the skin clecoed on and circle the rivet hole with issues.

Last edited:
Nowadays you can download a pdf version of the plans from Van's if you input the airplane's serial number and set up an account.

Back