What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to select paint shop?

CJT

What should one look for?
approximate cost to paint RV 10 in 3 colour design with pearl finish.
which are best paint companies?
how to assess quality?
how can one be sure that they would remove all dents?
will the Shop ensure no gaps are left at door edges?
will they ensure skins are well aligned.
anything else?

Search on the VAF and you'll see lots of feedback on paint shops. To address some of your comments...
  • Price typically varies depending on shops, locations, schemes, etc. Pearl finish is likely gonna be pricey, but it sure will look good.
  • I would recommend making a written scope of work spelling out what tasks you want to do yourself, what tasks you want them to do, etc. In lieu of that, at least list out the key points for them to make sure you're both on the same page. This minimizes them confusing what you talked about versus what another customer talked about.
  • If possible, plan on visiting the shop at key stages--before it's too late for them to address any discrepancies. Possibly after the first primer coat, and maybe when the tape is on for the design. A paint shop may have suggested times to visit as well. But keep in mind you need to be able to go when they say "when" or you risk delaying the process.
  • When/If you go for a mid-process inspection, bring a really good light and be prepared to crawl around. Give everything a really good looking over. If the fiberglass isn't filled or finished well, or the gaps aren't what you want, a shop will be more receptive to address it at an early stage in the process. When you come to pick up the plane is not the time to find they didn't do what you wanted.
  • By all means, TALK to the people at each shop to see what they recommend. Everybody does things a little differently, so you want to be able to adjust expectations for individual shops as needed.
  • There are a few scheme design companies that will work with you for a flat rate until you're satisfied with the scheme they come up with. This will eliminate a lot of potential uh-ohs on what you wanted compared to what the shop thought you wanted. Once that paint goes down, it's going to be a PITA to change it.
I'm sure there are a plethora of shops that do top notch work, but Evoke Aviation in Alabama has designed and painted some prize winning RV's. It's not the least expensive way to go, but you get what you pay for. They did my design work (but not the painting) and I was extremely pleased.

Search on the VAF and you'll see lots of feedback on paint shops. To address some of your comments...
  • Price typically varies depending on shops, locations, schemes, etc. Pearl finish is likely gonna be pricey, but it sure will look good.
  • I would recommend making a written scope of work spelling out what tasks you want to do yourself, what tasks you want them to do, etc. In lieu of that, at least list out the key points for them to make sure you're both on the same page. This minimizes them confusing what you talked about versus what another customer talked about.
  • If possible, plan on visiting the shop at key stages--before it's too late for them to address any discrepancies. Possibly after the first primer coat, and maybe when the tape is on for the design. A paint shop may have suggested times to visit as well. But keep in mind you need to be able to go when they say "when" or you risk delaying the process.
  • When/If you go for a mid-process inspection, bring a really good light and be prepared to crawl around. Give everything a really good looking over. If the fiberglass isn't filled or finished well, or the gaps aren't what you want, a shop will be more receptive to address it at an early stage in the process. When you come to pick up the plane is not the time to find they didn't do what you wanted.
  • By all means, TALK to the people at each shop to see what they recommend. Everybody does things a little differently, so you want to be able to adjust expectations for individual shops as needed.
  • There are a few scheme design companies that will work with you for a flat rate until you're satisfied with the scheme they come up with. This will eliminate a lot of potential uh-ohs on what you wanted compared to what the shop thought you wanted. Once that paint goes down, it's going to be a PITA to change it.
I'm sure there are a plethora of shops that do top notch work, but Evoke Aviation in Alabama has designed and painted some prize winning RV's. It's not the least expensive way to go, but you get what you pay for. They did my design work (but not the painting) and I was extremely pleased.
Evoke is arguably the gold standard; yes, you get what you pay for.

All the above is good data and I'd add one more suggestion. If you get down to one or two finalists, ask to see one that they painted 2 to 3 years before. Check around the cowlings and wheel pants along with the fiberglass wing tips. The cowling area seems to be the most difficult keeping chip free and a lot depends on the painter and his prep. Wheel pants are a close second. Look for any stress cracks in the paint and the degree they fill rivets. You can specify if you want just a slight rivet line to show or less use of a filler, so the rivets stand out much more. Most good paint shops let you specify. Close your eyes and feel the paint lines everywhere (including under the wing and wheel pants) A good paint shop there should not be any. I've seen more than one pretty poor paint job from a professional shop. Evoke and crew as others pointed out is the gold standard for professional painters.

Last edited:
There is no doubt that Evoke is probably the best paint shop out there today. I just picked my RV-7 up from Fulltron Paint in Springfield, Missouri today. I talked with and visited Marlin Fuller, the owner, before and during the entire process. He is spot on to give Evoke a run for their money. Their paint quality is top notch. You should really give them a look if you're shopping for a painter.

BTW, if money is no object and you're ok to wait about 4 years before they can take you in then go for Evoke. I had a spot there for 4th quarter 2027. You can have my spot.B.jpg

Last edited:
There is no doubt that Evoke is probably the best paint shop out there today. I just picked my RV-7 up from Fulltron Paint in Springfield, Missouri today. I talked with and visited Marlin Fuller, the owner, before and during the entire process. He is spot on to give Evoke a run for their money. Their paint quality is top notch. You should really give them a look if you're shopping for a painter.

BTW, if money is no object and you're ok to wait about 4 years before they can take you in then go for Evoke. I had a spot there for 4th quarter 2027. You can have my spot.
+1 For Fulltron! I visited there in May and was astonished at their paint quality and attention to details in finishing the job. I’ve visited Evoke also and was very very impressed with their work and Jonathan as a person. You’re almost guaranteed to get into Fulltron this year or sometime early next year. Just have to time the weather flying to Springfield MO. Nice little field North of downtown. Whatever you do DO NOT GO TO BASSPRO HEADQUARTERS!!!! All your paint money will gone and you will not welcomed at home, if you can even go home.

Given where you are located, you might give Lancaster Aero a call at Smoketown S37. They do fabulous work, I have seen a number of RV's they have painted and they are just beautiful. I think they are backed up about 18 months right now, but worth a call. I think their "Trophy" package is around $30k but way too many variables to say for sure...

When it was time to schedule my paint I checked around at a few paint shops,talked to plane owners and looked at their paint jobs.some were good,others okay. fin decided to go with Evoke. I decided I was was probably only going to have one plane painted in my life and wanted the best job I could get for my money.the attention to detail is amazing,to the polished aluminum fuel caps and canopy latch and paint lines and color,it turned out beautifully.they might not be the cheapest but when you walk into their hanger and see your plane you will be amazed. Even now after 6 months I open my hanger and am glad with decision I made.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpeg
    IMG_2603.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 34
What should one look for?
approximate cost to paint RV 10 in 3 colour design with pearl finish.
which are best paint companies?
how to assess quality?
how can one be sure that they would remove all dents?
will the Shop ensure no gaps are left at door edges?
will they ensure skins are well aligned.
anything else?

From my neighbor -

I recall that you are building your RV-10 over at Synergy Air South. There are at least five RV-10’s (including mine) and two RV-14's that used SA/SAS for build assist and have been painted at Evoke (one RV-10 is there right now). One of the RV-10's is based right there at CCO and it would be easy for you to check out the quality of the work done by Evoke. I would also be happy to fly mine over and let you see another example. You are only a 30 minute flight from Gadsden or a two hour drive. Strongly suggest you go over and take a look at what they do.

As to your questions -
1. Cost - Evoke has a sheet they can provide to you that details what they do and the base cost for their Signature Series services. Reach out to Alana and she will get it to you. [email protected]
2. Best paint companies - very subjective and there is no definitive answer. I know Evoke primarily uses Spies-Hecker.
3. Quality - also completely subjective. Opinions vary, but as you can see - Evoke is generally regarded as the best shop in the country for RV’s and other experimental aircraft. Aircraft they painted won 7 awards this year at OSH and a couple at SNF. They have painted two of my RV’s and I wouldn’t consider going anywhere else.
4. Dents - the first stop at Evoke is the body shop. Your plane will spend more time here than anywhere else getting it prepped for paint. They go over every square inch of the plane. Any noticeable dents will be dealt with. I had a couple of small dents and I can't find them now.
5. Gaps at doors - the RV-10 doors are hard to get right, as you probably have figured out. You don’t want “no gaps” at the doors, otherwise the paint will chip when you open and close them. What you want is a consistent gap at the doors. Larry in the body shop at Evoke is a master craftsman and he will get this right.
6. Skin alignment - not really sure what you expect the paint shop to do here. Skin alignment is really on you during the build.

I’m sure there are other paint shops that do a good job. Jonathan can recommend others if the cost or the wait time at Evoke doesn’t work for you. While an Evoke paint job might cost a little more, the value they provide is unmatched. Although it may cost a little more or take a little longer than you might like - I’ve never talked with anyone that had Evoke paint their plane wishing they had gone somewhere else. You spent the time and money on ensuring you have a quality build - I think you should do the same for the paint. As others have stated in this thread - Evoke is the gold standard.
KREA_14.jpgRV7and10_08.jpg

Last edited:
I recently learned how to handle base/clearcoat equipment at home. I was shocked at how easy it is. Super glossy, smooth finish - learn it in maybe an hour of practice at most. You can do it yourself for 1/10th the cost.

Thanks for the details, appreciate 🙏

All the above is good data and I'd add one more suggestion. If you get down to one or two finalists, ask to see one that they painted 2 to 3 years before. Check around the cowlings and wheel pants along with the fiberglass wing tips. The cowling area seems to be the most difficult keeping chip free and a lot depends on the painter and his prep. Wheel pants are a close second. Look for any stress cracks in the paint and the degree they fill rivets. You can specify if you want just a slight rivet line to show or less use of a filler, so the rivets stand out much more. Most good paint shops let you specify. Close your eyes and feel the paint lines everywhere (including under the wing and wheel pants) A good paint shop there should not be any. I've seen more than one pretty poor paint job from a professional shop. Evoke and crew as others pointed out is the gold standard for professional painters.
Wow, really good points. Thanks 🙏

BTW, if money is no object and you're ok to wait about 4 years before they can take you in then go for Evoke. I had a spot there for 4th quarter 2027. You can have my spot.View attachment 68713
Wow, looks beautiful, thanks, but my spot is July 2026😁

+1 For Fulltron! I visited there in May and was astonished at their paint quality and attention to details in finishing the job. I’ve visited Evoke also and was very very impressed with their work and Jonathan as a person. You’re almost guaranteed to get into Fulltron this year or sometime early next year. Just have to time the weather flying to Springfield MO. Nice little field North of downtown. Whatever you do DO NOT GO TO BASSPRO HEADQUARTERS!!!! All your paint money will gone and you will not welcomed at home, if you can even go home.
Hmmm no BASSPRO, then, thanks 🙏

Given where you are located, you might give Lancaster Aero a call at Smoketown S37. They do fabulous work, I have seen a number of RV's they have painted and they are just beautiful. I think they are backed up about 18 months right now, but worth a call. I think their "Trophy" package is around $30k but way too many variables to say for sure...
Thanks, will surely get quote. Thanks 🙏

When it was time to schedule my paint I checked around at a few paint shops,talked to plane owners and looked at their paint jobs.some were good,others okay. fin decided to go with Evoke. I decided I was was probably only going to have one plane painted in my life and wanted the best job I could get for my money.the attention to detail is amazing,to the polished aluminum fuel caps and canopy latch and paint lines and color,it turned out beautifully.they might not be the cheapest but when you walk into their hanger and see your plane you will be amazed. Even now after 6 months I open my hanger and am glad with decision I made.
I am sure, you do. Thanks 🙏

From my neighbor -

I recall that you are building your RV-10 over at Synergy Air South. There are at least five RV-10’s (including mine) and two RV-14's that used SA/SAS for build assist and have been painted at Evoke (one RV-10 is there right now). One of the RV-10's is based right there at CCO and it would be easy for you to check out the quality of the work done by Evoke. I would also be happy to fly mine over and let you see another example. You are only a 30 minute flight from Gadsden or a two hour drive. Strongly suggest you go over and take a look at what they do.

As to your questions -
1. Cost - Evoke has a sheet they can provide to you that details what they do and the base cost for their Signature Series services. Reach out to Alana and she will get it to you. [email protected]
2. Best paint companies - very subjective and there is no definitive answer. I know Evoke primarily uses Spies-Hecker.
3. Quality - also completely subjective. Opinions vary, but as you can see - Evoke is generally regarded as the best shop in the country for RV’s and other experimental aircraft. Aircraft they painted won 7 awards this year at OSH and a couple at SNF. They have painted two of my RV’s and I wouldn’t consider going anywhere else.
4. Dents - the first stop at Evoke is the body shop. Your plane will spend more time here than anywhere else getting it prepped for paint. They go over every square inch of the plane. Any noticeable dents will be dealt with. I had a couple of small dents and I can't find them now.
5. Gaps at doors - the RV-10 doors are hard to get right, as you probably have figured out. You don’t want “no gaps” at the doors, otherwise the paint will chip when you open and close them. What you want is a consistent gap at the doors. Larry in the body shop at Evoke is a master craftsman and he will get this right.
6. Skin alignment - not really sure what you expect the paint shop to do here. Skin alignment is really on you during the build.

I’m sure there are other paint shops that do a good job. Jonathan can recommend others if the cost or the wait time at Evoke doesn’t work for you. While an Evoke paint job might cost a little more, the value they provide is unmatched. Although it may cost a little more or take a little longer than you might like - I’ve never talked with anyone that had Evoke paint their plane wishing they had gone somewhere else. You spent the time and money on ensuring you have a quality build - I think you should do the same for the paint. As others have stated in this thread - Evoke is the gold standard.
View attachment 68707View attachment 68708
Wow, you have surely convinced me to wait my turn, yes I have seen one at CCO, excellent job. Thanks 🙏

I recently learned how to handle base/clearcoat equipment at home. I was shocked at how easy it is. Super glossy, smooth finish - learn it in maybe an hour of practice at most. You can do it yourself for 1/10th the cost.
Hmmm, interesting.Thanks 🙏

Again from my neighbor-

“Given that Evoke spends close to $10k in materials and supplies alone on an RV-10, I don’t think this is possible. Further you will need the large vinyl cutter and CAD experience to do the layout mask. A proper spray booth will also be required. Evoke also spends roughly 1000 person hours of labor prepping and painting an RV-10. If this was easy, we would all do it ourselves.”

Again from my neighbor-

“Given that Evoke spends close to $10k in materials and supplies alone on an RV-10, I don’t think this is possible. Further you will need the large vinyl cutter and CAD experience to do the layout mask. A proper spray booth will also be required. Evoke also spends roughly 1000 person hours of labor prepping and painting an RV-10. If this was easy, we would all do it ourselves.”
You beat me to it.

I’d like to see the result of him learning to do it in an hour…😂

Again from my neighbor-

You beat me to it.

I’d like to see the result of him learning to do it in an hour…😂

This thread is conflating graphic design, painting, body work, prep, and painting. 95% of a great "paint job" is body work and prep. And I'm sure its 90% of what Evoke is charging for (high end paint is pricey lol).

Graphics can be laid out the old school way with masking tape. Body work and prep is just about craftsmanship and attention to detail. If you built the plane you can do it yourself. It will take you longer than a pro, but the quality can be the same. Spraying is 90% technique and 10% art. Most have enough artist in them and can learn the technique, but it takes spraying a lot of paint to get there. That said, any local autobody shop will have a couple sprayers just as good as the guys at Evoke. And any of the reputable shops mentioned here will have the craftsmanship to match Evoke.

So like most things in this world you can trade elbow grease for dollars. If you want to just get your plane bolted and glued together, then turn it over to a shop to finish it for you. Or you could save some significant money by finishing the bodywork yourself.

This thread is conflating graphic design, painting, body work, prep, and painting. 95% of a great "paint job" is body work and prep. And I'm sure its 90% of what Evoke is charging for (high end paint is pricey lol).

Graphics can be laid out the old school way with masking tape. Body work and prep is just about craftsmanship and attention to detail. If you built the plane you can do it yourself. It will take you longer than a pro, but the quality can be the same. Spraying is 90% technique and 10% art. Most have enough artist in them and can learn the technique, but it takes spraying a lot of paint to get there. That said, any local autobody shop will have a couple sprayers just as good as the guys at Evoke. And any of the reputable shops mentioned here will have the craftsmanship to match Evoke.

So like most things in this world you can trade elbow grease for dollars. If you want to just get your plane bolted and glued together, then turn it over to a shop to finish it for you. Or you could save some significant money by finishing the bodywork yourself.
Bodywork is also part skill and part art; the only way to get good at it is repetition. It would seem that you are saying a DIY bodywork project is going to end up the same as a professional that has been doing it for years.

Not going to happen.

Bodywork is also part skill and part art; the only way to get good at it is repetition. It would seem that you are saying a DIY bodywork project is going to end up the same as a professional that has been doing it for years.

Not going to happen.
I'm saying it can. If someone is willing to put the time in. It's not magic, and just like paint can be stripped and done again till its right. Trim, fill, sand, repeat. A Pro is faster, way faster, way less oops, do it again. It's great you were able to write a check to where all the cool kids are going, it's certainly an exclusive club. But it's not the only way to a beautiful finish.

Again from my neighbor-

A vinyl cutter comes in handy sometimes but most painters that I know do the layouts by hand.

1000 person hours is A bit much. Two guys that know what they are doing can go from drop off to primer applied in less than a week.

A vinyl cutter comes in handy sometimes but most painters that I know do the layouts by hand.

1000 person hours is A bit much. Two guys that know what they are doing can go from drop off to primer applied in less than a week.
“If you set the bar low enough, you will never be disappointed.”

Back