What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to save $640+ on your panel with no downside

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
For your panel builders installing Dynon SkyView with TSO GPS navigators. Instead of buying the Dynon WAAS GPS-2020 GPS antenna/receiver ($890), get the Dynon non-WAAS GPS-250 ($250).

For ADS-B out, feed the GPS position from a serial on the TSO GPS navigator to your XPDR. The GPS-250 is perfect for all phases of flight other than the precision RNAV approach (that is why you have the certified navigator). You still have two intergrated GPS receivers for redundancy.

Shop around. I got a GPS-250 from a buddy for $100, and one from a builder in Georgia for $125.

Carl

Still run the old Dynon GPS puck since I installed a GTN. Dynon says the reception on the older puck is a little better because of the higher requirements of the 2020. The Dynon provides a great backup to a certified GPS.

Can the navigator (in my case a GNX375) provide a position source to a Dynon without it’s own GPS antenna? Just wondering.

Can the navigator (in my case a GNX375) provide a position source to a Dynon without it’s own GPS antenna? Just wondering.
The GNX375 can supply position to the Dynon as the only antenna however, the advantage of having the Dynon antenna is that the Dynon antenna is powered by the EFIS backup battery so you maintain position information and map without anything else in the aircraft powered. If you had a severe electrical problem and had to shut down all aircraft power you would still have a fully functioning EFIS (engine instruments module is also powered from the backup battery in the Dynon). In your case I would get the cheaper GPS250 antenna and put it on Serial Port 5 as recommended and feed the position data out of your 375 to the Dynon on another port as Position 2. That was my setup in the IFR cross country plane.

Back