What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to get replacement air worthiness certificate

1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
If I lost my air worthiness certificate, what's the easiest way to get a replacement? I heard that it depends on who at the FSDO is helping you. Some will want to look at your plane and others will just issue one right on the spot without any hassles. I'm in Long Beach. Please advise on where to go/ easiest way to do this if I end up needing it. (I'm still hoping I can find mine and won't need to deal with the FSDO) Thanks!

In the old days, the Special Airworthiness Certificate (Form 8130-7) was pink, as is the one in my airplane built in 2011. I note that when you order a new one from the FAA, it's just a photocopy and is white. Is the copy that you order from the FAA a valid certificate? One that will satisfy an FAA inspector in the unlikely event of a ramp check?

In the old days, the Special Airworthiness Certificate (Form 8130-7) was pink, as is the one in my airplane built in 2011. I note that when you order a new one from the FAA, it's just a photocopy and is white. Is the copy that you order from the FAA a valid certificate? One that will satisfy an FAA inspector in the unlikely event of a ramp check?

The latest version of AWC’s are printed from the AWC web site, so the pink form has gone away (although they still exist in various inspector’s file drawers, and can still be used until they run out). The AWC web site prints the certificate and the OP’s Lims all together, so that it is more obvious that they are all part of the same document. Of course, the AWC no longer fits in the holders every airplane has had since the 1930’s……

The latest version of AWC’s are printed from the AWC web site, so the pink form has gone away (although they still exist in various inspector’s file drawers, and can still be used until they run out). The AWC web site prints the certificate and the OP’s Lims all together, so that it is more obvious that they are all part of the same document. Of course, the AWC no longer fits in the holders every airplane has had since the 1930’s……

Thanks for the clarification Paul.

Replacement cert.

To get a replacement certificate that was lost you just need to send the local FSDO a letter stating you lost the original and need a replacement.

Sam, I'm on the website now and filling out the application to get a replacement AWC. There's a section that's requiring me to upload a document. There's a list of documents and the one I think I should fill out and upload is form 8130-7 "Special Airworthiness Certificate". The others on the list don't make sense for what I'm trying to do. But when I try to look for form 8130-7 on the FAA website, it says that form is unavailable and for internal use only. Further down on the page, a PDF file for form 8130-6 "Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate". But this is not on the list at the top as an option for documents I can upload. Very confusing. Has anyone done this and know what I should do?? I also called the local FSDO. The rep told me that they can get a replacement for me, but it's "preferable" that I use the website to do it.

It does take some very specific folding, but I have been making them fit for quite a few years now.

Sam, I'm on the website now and filling out the application to get a replacement AWC. There's a section that's requiring me to upload a document. There's a list of documents and the one I think I should fill out and upload is form 8130-7 "Special Airworthiness Certificate". The others on the list don't make sense for what I'm trying to do. But when I try to look for form 8130-7 on the FAA website, it says that form is unavailable and for internal use only. Further down on the page, a PDF file for form 8130-6 "Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate". But this is not on the list at the top as an option for documents I can upload. Very confusing. Has anyone done this and know what I should do?? I also called the local FSDO. The rep told me that they can get a replacement for me, but it's "preferable" that I use the website to do it.

Form 8130-6 is for application for a new issue certificate or for a special flight permit (AKA ferry permit).
As was already mentioned in another post, a replacement for a lost certificate can be obtained with just a written request stating that it is lost.
Submitting the letter to your local FSDO should get you what you need.
No 8130-6 form is required.

Back