What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much primes should I prepare?

brunodom

I'm New Here
Hi, I am building an RV-10, and finally, I got the moment that I have to prime my parts before riveting. It is my first time priming, and I think I have a lot sorted out. I decided to coat using AkzoNobel based on many discussions in this forum and also an online search. However, this priming is pretty expensive, and I know that an Epoxy-based prime can add extra weight compared to other priming options. So, I am conscious that I have to apply a thin coat and am trying to figure out if there is any formula to determine the amount of priming I should prepare. For example, I am starting the RV-10 Vertical stabilizer. How much prime are you mixing for this kind of job? Any ballparking? I think with time, I am starting to get a better sense; just to kick it off, I need educated advice. I appreciate the experience that you can share.

Best Regards!
-Bruno Domingues
 
It is a best guess based on the number and size of your parts. I never figured out any sort of rule of thumb for how much to mix. Generally, I would mix it up 50-50 part A and B, let it sit for 30 minutes of induction time (stirring occasionally) and then use about 80% of the ready to spray mixture into the gun. Holding back the other 20% for touching up missed areas gives you a better shot at getting good coverage on the parts. When the primer dries you will see any areas that need a touch more coverage. Having a little bit extra also lets you know how much you can spray on those last few parts. If you don't have enough primer mixed, then you get to do another 30 minute wait, and you should be able to better correlate how much you need to mix for the last bit of material.
 
Bruno,

I imagine a gallon set (one activator, the other epoxy) will get an entire -10, or close to it. I've bought several, but that's because we're EXTRA SLOW build and primer shelf life. The stuff sprays so well you'll think you're a natural a painting (we definitely are NOT). It takes great effort to avoid application of too much, so be careful there.

We spray outside and the primer is dry to the touch within seconds. You will not find this difficult. The ony bummer is prep... ..that takes forever.

Best regards,
Mike
 
I suggest you have all your parts ready to go and then mix maybe 50% of what you think you might need and apply that first. That way you can always go back and mix up some more paint to finish off. This will save you throwing out precious product. You'll soon get a feel for it but its certainly hard to get it perfect.

I think the biggest issue to avoid is applying too much paint onto the parts. It doesn't take much to do the job right.
 
Back
Top