What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many rivets are there?

toolmanmike

Well Known Member
Patron
Surely someone has counted?… Curious minds want to know. How many rivets are in my finished plane?

Bragging rights if nothing else.

I have no idea how many rivets are in a RV but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Not that you asked but it's my experience that new builders get caught up in the intricacies of the the sheetmetal construction. Not that thats bad but I'm here to tell you...The sheet metal is the easiest part of building. When it's all over, the other systems, canopy, fiberglass, wiring etc will be what you remember as being hard ;)

The sheet metal won't even enter into the "WOW, that was tough" category.

One day…

Truer words were never spoken.
That "90% to go" is the tough part.
:D

And then suddenly one day you wake up and the only thing left to do is to go fly. I never thought I would make it. But keep going and it will come together.

16K sounds about right. I did the rough math a time or two on the RV-6 and came up with about 14K. Given that the -7 is a little bigger, 16K makes sense.

16 thousand! That doesn’t sound like nearly enough. I’m sure I have drilled at least that many back out😂
Maybe that’s why it seems like so many?

Thanks all. Just a fun topic.

I counted... for no particular reason, just for fun at the end of each work session.
RV-8 slow build
15154 rivets
:D

I counted mine as I built. I had QB wings and a QB fuselage so I am not counting those. The rest of the RV-10 kit had 12,126 rivets that I installed.

How many rivets in an RV?

Surely someone has counted?… Curious minds want to know. How many rivets are in my finished plane? Bragging rights if nothing else.

Back in the Stone Age with the Slow Build RV-4, I remember someone (it might have been Vans!) said there were 13,000 driven rivets in an RV-4. That is the number I always have used just as an aside. Wait....YOU built this airplane? Yep. 13,000 driven rivets and most all of those had to be drilled, deburred, countersunk and bucked. Holy ****! Yep! How long did that take? Six and a half years. Wow! Yep!

Back