What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How difficult to climb into RV-14A

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I have a -9A Slider I built several years ago and fly weekly now. I enjoyed the building process so much I decided to build a -14A and sell the -9A when it was time to go to the hangar. I have the plane built up to the point of installing the engine, still on order but getting close. As I stand next to the fuse, I am getting concerned about how difficult it will be to climb in. I stands taller than the -9A, and there is no place to grab to help pull yourself up on the wing. I have aftermarket grab handles on the rollbar on the -9A which really help. I have climbed in and out of Van's demo planes at OSH with difficulty, but am starting to get concerned my wife may not be able to board. We are both in our mid 70's and not very "athletic". Can you guys with flying planes advise if this is a real concern, or is there some trick to boarding I am not aware of? Maybe I will have to sell the new -14 and keep the -9???

Getting in and out is an issue for lots of us. I considered trading a friend for his Glastar for that reason.

I have a 9A and my hangar partner has a 14A. I will go to the hangar tomorrow and check to see what the difference is and if it is harder to get into the 14. My thought is it is not much different but maybe easier getting in and out of the 14 cockpit since it is wider. The antisplat bar I have in my 9A is the best mod I made and with a bad back and knees, it has made it much easier.

I believe I would carry a little stool to get to the step on the 14 for the added room and speed.

My experience with the-9A slider is that they’re more difficult to mount than the -14A. Getting into the -9A, I was cautioned; "Dont grab the canopy! Don’t grab the windshield! Don’t put your weight on anything! And there’s not a lot of room between the slider and the windshield…. Late 60’s here and I’m no longer a gymnast. Never was.. I find the -9A a bit TRICKY to enter and worse to exit. I’m sure I could get used to it, but the -14A is easier.
With the canopy open, right hand on the roll bar, step up to the wing and there’s lots of room to get into the plane. Dismount is just as easy. Try to find one for a ride. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised!

Bill

Hard to provide a definitive answer, but you're right to be concerned. I can't see an easier way to climb in: right foot on step and hoist your left foot onto the wing walk while grabbing the roll bar with your right hand, then pull the rest of your body up. Getting into the seat is the next challenge and I find I have to step on my nice leather seat and then drop in. My old Cherokee with its side door was so much easier to get into. One thing you find out quickly is that if you have any baggage, you need to enter and exit one at a time so as not to drop the tail. All I can think of is to carry a small step stool for your passenger.

Really not that bad. I live an hour northwest of SNF and welcome to mount. Put your foot on the step and grab the canopy frame and pull. Pretty easy but try one out!!

I take my shoes off when I am going to step in and step on the seat, no issues.

As I was looking at RV's to buy a few years ago, I noted that many of the RV-7A's and RV-9A's airplanes that were being sold were by older, mid-70's guys where either they or their wives were unable to comfortably climb into the airplane. Now I'm also in my 70's and I understand completely what they were concerned about., I don't know how a -14A differs from a -9A, but I do know that after knee surgery a year ago, a folding step stool on some para-cord made it easier to climb into a low-wing airplane.

IMG_1443.jpegIMG_1442.jpeg

Getting in is as described above. I have loaded several physically challenged folks into mine. Getting out can be a bit harder. You will need to push up with your feet, sliding your butt up along the seat, until you can get your feet into the seat. I keep a small towel for those who need it. I put my feet alongside the stick, but I am still strong. Installing the aftermarket console between the seats makes it easier to make that first push up. I have not been in a 9, but imagine a similar method is needed to climb out.

The older we get. (I’m 77) The better and better Cessna Cardinal looks. One of my Fly to eat buddy’s got one last year. He had a RV6.

As I was looking at RV's to buy a few years ago, I noted that many of the RV-7A's and RV-9A's airplanes that were being sold were by older, mid-70's guys where either they or their wives were unable to comfortably climb into the airplane. Now I'm also in my 70's and I understand completely what they were concerned about., I don't know how a -14A differs from a -9A, but I do know that after knee surgery a year ago, a folding step stool on some para-cord made it easier to climb into a low-wing airplane.

View attachment 57916View attachment 57917
My wife needs this stool to get into our -9A, so we definitely will use it on the -14A. We will probably need one on each side! We also have the AntiSplat foot bar on the -9A which really helps, and we keep small towels on the seats so we don't step directly on the leather. There does not appear to be a similar product for the -14A. Maybe I should have waited and built the RV-15!

My wife needs this stool to get into our -9A, so we definitely will use it on the -14A. We will probably need one on each side! We also have the AntiSplat foot bar on the -9A which really helps, and we keep small towels on the seats so we don't step directly on the leather. There does not appear to be a similar product for the -14A. Maybe I should have waited and built the RV-15!
The Anti-Splat foot bar is one of those simple-but-brilliant devices which certainly simplifies getting out of the airplane but also spares carpeting and seats from a LOT of wear and tear. I don't know why Allan doesn't make one for the -14.

I measured the step and the distance from the wing to the rail at the tallest point on both the 9A and the 14A.
On my plane it is 20" to the step and from the wing to the rail right at the roll bar it is 20".
On the 14A, it is 16-3/4" to the step and 18" to the rail.

Trying both it is easier to get into the 14A. The biggest difference is the rail is 2" lower when you are standing on the wing trying to get into the seat. The 14A did not have the antisplat bar like my 9A does. I would get one for sure.

Come on over to KTEW in lower Michigan and you can try both! Im sure you will be happy with either but access is easier in the 14.

View attachment 57916View attachment 57917
My mother is now in her 90's. When she use to fly with me, we used one ot the same steps to help her get from the ground to wing and wing to ground.

I measured the step and the distance from the wing to the rail at the tallest point on both the 9A and the 14A.
On my plane it is 20" to the step and from the wing to the rail right at the roll bar it is 20".

Trying both it is easier to get into the 14A. The biggest difference is the rail is 2" lower when you are standing on the wing trying to get into the seat. The 14A did not have the antisplat bar like my 9A does. I would get one for sure.

Come on over to KTEW in lower Michigan and you can try both! Im sure you will be happy with either but access is easier in the 14.
When my right knee was recovering from replacement, getting over the rail into the cockpit wasn't a problem, certainly made less so by the Supertraxx canopy extension....it was getting up onto the step and then stepping up onto the wing that was hard. It was no problem stepping up from the passenger side because I was stepping up with my LEFT leg, and that's mostly what I did. I later had a quadriceps tendon repair on that right leg and was limited to 30° flexion at the knee for a time. THAT was where the step became important and where the lower canopy rail would have been much more useful.

We use a small step stool as necessary placed right next to the fuselage step bar to aid in transiting over the flaps on to the wing. Pax can grab/hold the inside front of the roll bar to help pull up and steady on the wing. Once on the wing, I have passengers sit on the rail facing forward and swing in each leg to the floorboard, Then they can easily lean in to grab the E-Z out Center Console (AIrcraft Extras) to slide right down into the seat. Works like a champ every time. Reverse the process to exit the aircraft. I highly recommend the E-Z Console, as I've flown RV-14s with, and without it, and found it to be extremely helpful. Plus you have another stash place in the cockpit!

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2364.JPG
    IMG_2364.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 74
  • imagejpeg_0(4).JPG
    imagejpeg_0(4).JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 76

Thanks for the encouraging replies. I will try to mock up a wing walk area on the side of the fuse and try different techniques. I am just concerned there is no forward hand hold to pull yourself up onto the wing like there is on my -9A. I will check on the EZ console. I think the lack of an AntiSplat foot bar is the totally different design required. There is a tall and wide tunnel between the seats that would require two shorter bars and some clever way to attach them to non-structural sheet metal on each side. I wonder if Alan is working on this???

Thanks for the encouraging replies. I will try to mock up a wing walk area on the side of the fuse and try different techniques. I am just concerned there is no forward hand hold to pull yourself up onto the wing like there is on my -9A. I will check on the EZ console. I think the lack of an AntiSplat foot bar is the totally different design required. There is a tall and wide tunnel between the seats that would require two shorter bars and some clever way to attach them to non-structural sheet metal on each side. I wonder if Alan is working on this???
14A roll bar very easy to pull yourself up with. 17 inches one time seems reasonable with hand assist. (Roll bar)

Good luck !!

yep, the roll bar on the 14A is the hand-hold you can reach with one foot on the ground and one on the step. You could even attach a handle to the roll bar for a better grip. The problem is when the canopy is closed and the roll bar isn't available, but you should be able to open the canopy while standing on the ground, maybe with a stick to push it up....use the replacement heavy-duty struts to make it easier to lift

As Jake stated. Once on the wing, use one hand on the longeron and the other hand on the cross member between the two seats. Step on the seat, and put your heel next to the stick (no need for a foot bar), and lower yourself in. BTW- you will want to install the steps on the -14/ 14A. For my passengers, I painted handhold stripes on the roll bar

Attachments

• RV-14 Winston.jpg
    RV-14 Winston.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 25
yep, the roll bar on the 14A is the hand-hold you can reach with one foot on the ground and one on the step. You could even attach a handle to the roll bar for a better grip. The problem is when the canopy is closed and the roll bar isn't available, but you should be able to open the canopy while standing on the ground, maybe with a stick to push it up....use the replacement heavy-duty struts to make it easier to lift
My wife (5'4") with 2 feet on the ground can open the canopy far enough to engage the canopy pin and sets it on the pins. Once the canopy is resting on the pin she can use the roll bar as a hand grip. (It's open 3 or 4 inches at that point) She thin can grab the roll bar and using the step pull herself up on the wing. (I wouldn't want her to use a stick on the canopy.

Back