What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did you guys attach the slider track pull string?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
For the delrin block that slides on the aft canopy track, vans calls for a piece of fine cable or heavy fishing line running from that to the canopy frame.

There doesn’t seem much extra margin on that plug anywhere. About the most reasonable solution I can see would be to drill a hole laterally through it for a loop of safety wire, but I’m sure others have come up with different (hopefully better) solutions.

How are most folks attaching that thing?

Canopy block

I didn't. My fiberglass layup canopy skirt doghouse fits pretty snug to the track when closed. I will add some felt seal later.

I assume you are talking about the block that plugs the hole to stop the air blowing on your neck after the slider is closed. I gave up on that as there seemed to be no elegant solution. I just wear a jacket in the winter with the collar up.
Figs

Well, I appreciate that just skipping it is an option, but I've got the doghouse area of the skirt fitting really tight against that delrin block so I'd like to try to make it work.

Attachments

• IMG_8798.jpg
    IMG_8798.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 100
I just installed mine recently. I used a length of monofilament fishing line looped through a hole in the center of the C-679 seal block, which is set up as shown in drawing 42. The other end of the string goes around the middle of the canopy weldment.

I was able to install this while standing outside the fuselage, no baggage compartment yoga required. If I recall correctly, I first tied the loop around the canopy weldment, then tied off the other end to the seal block. It took several iterations until I got the length exactly right, but fishing line is cheap.

20230727_canopy_seal2.jpg

Once you get the length right, the block sucks in tightly every time:

20230727_canopy_seal3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, I ended up installing the slider/tip up mod for baggage loading so this approach would have been a pain each time you unlatched the rear of the canopy. Probably OK if you install the super slider mod.
Figs

Back