What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How are you getting the conduit through the center sections or uprights?

RVFan671

Well Known Member
Have been searching the forum and google for pictures of conduit but not seeing many results of how you are punching it through the uprights for the center section if you are running it along the sides of the plane. Are you terminating conduit and running wires straight through the couple of bushings they had you insert early on in the fuse build up or drilling 7/8 inch holes through the uprights and is vans ok with drilling these without extra support?

Pictures are worth a thousand words here.

On the thumb-drive with the RV-10 plans, there is a section with optional plans. One is called "OP-37 RV-10 Wiring (Obsolete)". Check it out, it has some details on how to route cables throughout the plane even though the harness is no longer available since it's outdated.
/Martin

Holes are allowable

This is my reply from Vans earlier this week when I asked about step drilling holes in the seat ribs.

“Adding holes as suggested in the seat ribs would not be a problem. The only advice I have to offer here would be to maintain standard 2D edge distance for your chosen hole size. Regarding hole size, 1 inch or smaller would be fine.”

I was intending to put two pieces of conduit along the left side of aircraft and drill into the seat rib like that. I'd do the same on the right side but would prefer to upsize the lightning holes on the f1034C upright from 3/4 to 7/8.

Looked at those optional plans just now and it says to only drill 3/4 through the F1004D and C uprights. So is everyone terminating the conduit aft of the F1004D and running wires (including battery cable) through the existing 3/4 inch holes in the F1004D and C they came with or you drill in the first few sections of the fuse build?

I don't have the source, but I stored away two pictures of how others have run the conduits.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 350
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 356
What about here?

Right here is where I'd like a picture. You can see some of my caterpillar grommets but I'm looking at what you did to get beyond the center section. Are all your wires stuffed in the two bushings or drilling more holes through the uprights on the center section?

Attachments

• 20220203_212800.jpg
    20220203_212800.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 306
The others just continued running the conduits through the two sides of that vertical bracket.
If you use Vans conduit (DUCT NT 5/8-50),
https://store.vansaircraft.com/5-8-nylon-ducting-50-duct-nt5-8-50.html,
it will fit through 3/4 holes (despite its spec of OD 0.810) if you push it and you won't violate the max hole size.

If you do a search on several other builders blogs and review their pictures you will see extra holes punched through those uprights on either side of the wing spar. I can’t imagine how the guys with AC are getting hoses from front to back otherwise. Up the tunnel maybe, but that’s got to be tight too.

Keith

Asked Vans

They said they don't give recommendations regarding adding holes to the uprights. They also said most builders end up putting one additional hole each side of the aircraft (in said uprights) to get wires run. Basically, watch your edge distance and they aren't responsible for any issues that arise (but I haven't heard of any) out of drilling through the uprights because they can't suggest drilling them anywhere.

They also directed me to the optional drawings from another poster on this thread, on how to run the battery cable.

I can’t imagine how the guys with AC are getting hoses from front to back otherwise. Up the tunnel maybe, but that’s got to be tight too.

Keith
South Florida Sport Aviation AC systems route the hoses through the tunnel. Airflow Systems AC hoses run along the sides using same route as the conduits (going through both sides of the vertical strut above the spars).

They said they don't give recommendations regarding adding holes to the uprights. They also said most builders end up putting one additional hole each side of the aircraft (in said uprights) to get wires run. Basically, watch your edge distance and they aren't responsible for any issues that arise (but I haven't heard of any) out of drilling through the uprights because they can't suggest drilling them anywhere.

They also directed me to the optional drawings from another poster on this thread, on how to run the battery cable.

I added reinforcements to mine in order to add multiple holes. Not Vans-approved, but others have done the same without issue.

Back