What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Houston Area AME

Mark Jackson

Patron
I had a cardiac ablation about a year ago. No issues since. I will have to work with an AME to take tests and submit the results. Has anyone worked with an AME in/near Houston who specializes in non-routine cases?

I had a medical for years until 2019 when I sold my Mooney and let it lapse.

You are definitely right looking for an AME that specializes in special issuance. It's worth traveling for if need be. I'm at Hooks and used Richard Hecker in Bulverde. I too had afib with an ablation in 2012. I used him until I switched to BasicMed and then again when I got a stent and needed another SI to get back on BasicMed. I think he's cut back his practice and is off traveling some but it's worth a call or email.
RB Doc Hecker ([email protected])
(210) 391-1072

I would consider basic med. As long as that medical lapsed and there was no denial, you should be eligable. On basic med, a heart attack requires a one time SI, but it sounds like the ablation was done before any MI. There is a requirement for a one time SI for coronary heart disease that requires treatment and the AFIB w/ablation is probably is in that category, but possibly not. Definitely worth getting an expert opinion on this as it would save a fortune in tests. Even if it it, the SI is one time and done. I am guessing that under a Class III you will need an SI every year, but not sure.

Larry

Last edited:
KAUS

Catch a ride to Austin Bergstrom, taxi to Million Air where http://austinaero.space does medicals.
I used Dr. Cole Weatherby there for my BasicMed.

I believe there is no requirement to report cardiac ablations under BasicMed.

Last edited:
I had excellent results about 9 years ago with the UTMB Aerospace Medicine Center in Galveston, TX. The doctor was very knowledgeable about how the FAA Special Issuance system works and what is required. He also knew who to call there to clarify questions and get an expedited response. After about 6 months starting with a regular AME and going back and forth via email with Oklahoma City, I had my SI within a couple weeks after visiting the UTMB Aerospace Medicine Center.

Since I switched to Basic Med, I haven't needed to contact them again, so this info may be out of date, but the contact info I have is:
Johnene Vardiman-Ditmanson 409-747-9176
[email protected]

The UTMB web is returning a page not found for the old website I had.

Good luck with finding the right AME to help you through the GAA gauntlet.

Back