What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horsepower rating

JDanno

Well Known Member
I'm looking at my printout from BPE for my Lycoming engine on their dynamometer.
When an engine is rated at 260HP (factory rating as bought from Van's) which figures are they using:
1. BHP
2. BHPC
3. Corr. HP

I'm trying to compare my engine to factory stock. Thanks!!

Not as simple as you might think.

The power will be measured and then corrected to standard temperature, pressure and humidity. This would be for a test article that is broken in, with oil temps at a specific temperature and viscosity.

Also, certain accessories can take power so this should be noted as with or without.

The production engines will obviously not be broken in, but should have the correct temps, etc. There will be correction factors for break-in. Also production tolerances are typically +0 -5%. Correction methodologies and specifics evolve over time, so may not, currently, be precisely correct.

If power on a dyno is not corrected to certain standards, then the tests lose some value. Be sure you know the oil weight and temps as this can make more difference than you might think.

Although not definitive, maybe this helps. Just ask BPE about this and you will get the most applicable information. They can tell you the exact factors.

Back